Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Power

Old 04-11-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
fluxbox

Join Date Apr 2012
fluxbox is on a distinguished road

Default Does Active-PFC helps in the case of unstable input voltage ?

Hi,

I live in a place where the input voltage is unstable (165v-220v) during the night. Blackouts are rare though. With my current PSU (local brand you've never heard), low input voltage leads to reboot. Does active pfc helps in this case ? i know that i should get a UPS. But UPS will make total power efficiency worse so i'd like to make UPS as last resort. I'm considering Seasonic S12II 530W

My current spec :
MSI P55-CD53
i5-750 @bclk 166 (oc'ed from 133) (i modify bclk only, vcore and power saving features is at default settings.
2x4gb gskill ddr3 @1600mhz (xmp profile)
his radeon 6850, undervolted to 1v from 1.15v, no side effects except lower temp
500 gb wdc black edition

This comp runs fine and stable, unless there's a drop in input voltage which usually lasts for 15 minutes or so.

Thanks in advance and feel free to correct my english as it's not my native language
fluxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to our forums.

With a power supply with active PFC, usually you can plug your power supply to any voltage between 90 V and 240 V and you will be fine.

UPS is not recommended in your case, because it does not do anything with the voltage, it only kicks in when there is a power failure. If you want a product to improve the AC voltage that enters your computer, you should consider a voltage conditioner (a.k.a. voltage stabilizer).

I hope I have helped.

Gabriel
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
fluxbox

Join Date Apr 2012
fluxbox is on a distinguished road

Thanks for clarifying. I was considering UPS because some of them have built in AVR. I just got myself a Seasonic S12II 620W, no reboots so far.

And oh yeah i really enjoyed reading your articles about PSU. Oh man, i wish i read them sooner. I went cheap on PSU thinking it doesn't improve performance. But thanks to you, now i know that good PSU pays off in the long run, better lifetime of cpu components and psu itself, lower electricity bills etc.
fluxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:21 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I'd add that a good PSU also prevents your computer from random crashes...
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread