Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 04-16-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Killakiwi

Join Date Apr 2012
Killakiwi is on a distinguished road

Default Also a virgin, be gentle.

Hi there. I decided to take the plunge and build my very own super awesome badass pc. Well mid to high range anyway.

I have done alot of research over the last 6 months and have begun to put together what I want. Pretty sure it will be a fairly good system, but as this is my first time, why not ask some people that actually know to make sure I have it right.

So far, I have bought the case, the mobo and the PSU.

The case is a Bitfinex Colosuss, in white. HUGE case, and didnt really realise how big it was until I had bought it, but I have it now, so.... yea.

PSU is a Corsair AX750W Gold something something.

And the mobo is a Asus P8z77-V.

Thats what I have so far. I would like to get the Ivy Bridge i5 3750K(i think thats it) and probably the GTX680 as my GPU.

Kinda want my first build to be decent. So here are my ideas, please feel free to critique or comment as Im new any tips are appreciated.

Hope I got the right mobo?

I dont really wanna SLI(not yet anyway) and will mainly be for gaming.

Havent got anything else yet but will be soon. Thanks in advance. Kiwi.
Killakiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011
C.W. is on a distinguished road

This is currently what you have:

CPU: 3750K
-Cooling
GPU: GTX 680
Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V
RAM:
HDD:
SSD:

PSU: Corsair AX750W
Case: Bitfenix Colossus
DVD:

Monitor:

I'd suggest:
RAM: 8gb (two sticks of 4gb) 1600 DDR3 RAM.
HDD: 1 tb WD caviar blue (or black if you want to feel special)
SSD: 64gb Crucial M4 <= install the OS on this

I don't know what monitor you plan on using. I think if you're using something at 1080p, you can afford a cheaper GPU. Not only is the 680 relatively rare, but it's overkill at 1080p. I'd probably say an AMD HD7870 or an NVIDIA 560 Ti would serve you better at that resolution.
C.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
Killakiwi

Join Date Apr 2012

Hi there, thanks for your suggestions.

Ok, so for RAM, I was also thinking 8GB. Does it really matter which brand? There seems to be a million different brands and alot of good ones?

I was thinking with the GTX680, atleast I could play most games on ultra for the next few years. If I bought all the latest tech now, wouldnt that be better?

Or us this thinking flawed?

Also, 1080p? I have no clue what im doing with displays either. Is there a big difference between 1080i or 1080p. Whats better? whats better for gaming?

Thanks again.

So what type of monitor would fully utilise the gtx680?

WOuldnt any screen do or am i just uninformed? I thought for PC, any LCD, flat panel screen would do? Im wrong arent i.

I dont think the gtx680 are so rare, but very expensive....yes.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:27 AM   #4
Sparky

Join Date May 2010
Sparky is on a distinguished road

Buy for performance you need now, not for performance you need 2 years from now, as you'll get the same performance for half the cost by then.

1080p (progressive) means you get a full frame at each refresh, 1080i (interlaced) means each refresh only hits the even or odd lines. I would recommend against an interlaced display. If you get the 680 I'd suggest a 120hz monitor, a multi monitor setup, or a 2560x1600 monitor, so you get some advantage from it now.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #5
Killakiwi

Join Date Apr 2012

Ok, so a 120Hz monitor. Does a normal monitor run at that resolution? Or are they special? Most I see are 1900 x 1080 (something like that) and is this not good enough?

So I could get a 1900 x 1080 at 120 Hz or a 2560x1600 at 120Hz?

I guess I just want the 680 because its the latest and greatest and I know it will play all the latest games now on ultra and probably games for the next 2 or so years right?

Or should I save some cash and get a 570 or 580? Dont really want to go back to a 560ti.

I guess if i get the 680 to get the most out of it I need to spend more on the monitor right?
Old 04-17-2012, 03:05 AM   #6
Sparky

Join Date May 2010

1920x1080 120hz or 2560x1600 60hz, I don't think you can get 2560x1600 120hz.

It may be worth waiting for the 670.

7870 has performance/price comparable to a 580, but uses 70w less power.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:17 AM   #7
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

Typically, 'future proofing' doesn't work very well.

1. Nobody can predict the future. Case in point: remember Crysis? now think about all those guys who bought a high end GPU maybe a year before it came out.

2. Technology is a bad investment. If I spend $1000 on a CPU that I plan on using 5 years into the future when the CPU I need is $200, then that $800 is basically depreciating in value over the next five years since I'm not 'maximizing' its usage. It's sort of like buying a hamburger at McDonalds and then holding on to it for a couple of days cause you'll probably want to eat it by Friday.

3. It's usually cheaper to upgrade as needed instead of buying big. I'll use my old GPU as an example. About six years ago, I bought a $200 7600 GT. Now let's say instead, I bought the $500 7900 GTX cause I wanted to future proof. Two years later, the 9600 GT is out for about $200. If I *hypothetically* upgraded to the 9600 GT from a 7600 GT, I would have spent $400 and out performed my $500 7900GTX by 2008.

4. Diminishing returns. Most benchmarks don't scale linearly (even though they're represented as such). The difference between 10 and 30 fps is very noticeable (the difference between Intel's integrated graphics to a mid-level discrete graphics card). The difference between 110 and 130 fps is not. LCD monitors can usually refresh at 60 or 120 hz which translates into 60 or 120 fps respectively. Beyond that, you're going to have issues seeing a difference- I've heard people say it makes things 'smoother' which I can understand, but 'smooth to smoother' is not on the same level as 'slide-show to full motion'. Similarly, faster CPUs and HDDs have the same effect. A drop from 10 seconds to 1 second is pretty big, but from 1 to .1 isn't exactly a mind-blowing experience.

5. Top tier carries a premium. You pay more because the companies can charge you more. This money isn't for extra features or anything like that- it's just so you can brag to your friends that you have THE BEST*

*(at least for today)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Killakiwi

Join Date Apr 2012

Aha. I see your point and have absorbed it like a sponge.

So, bad idea getting the 680. Perhaps wait the month or so for the 670 right..? Truth be told, it was just to brag and I dont really NEED it.

I guess with the components that jump in tech every 6 months you are running a race ya cant really win.

Im waiting on IB for the 3750K. Is that a good idea? I read somewhere there are always teething probs with the new stuff. How big of a problem will it be?
Im new, so less probs are always good, but dont really want to get the SB.

As far as RAM goes, there are a million manufacturers and they all seem reasonably the same right? 8GB of whatever? Any recommendations?

WD Black HDD 1TB?

Corsair Vengence(close enough) 8GB?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Sparky

Join Date May 2010

Do you mean the 3570k? It's a very good CPU though they seem to be difficult to keep cool. A new stepping may improve voltages, though part of the issue is that smaller dies have less surface area with which to dissipate heat. It should be launching on the 23rd.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #10
C.W.

Join Date Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killakiwi View Post
Aha. I see your point and have absorbed it like a sponge.

So, bad idea getting the 680. Perhaps wait the month or so for the 670 right..? Truth be told, it was just to brag and I dont really NEED it.

I guess with the components that jump in tech every 6 months you are running a race ya cant really win.

Im waiting on IB for the 3750K. Is that a good idea? I read somewhere there are always teething probs with the new stuff. How big of a problem will it be?
Im new, so less probs are always good, but dont really want to get the SB.

As far as RAM goes, there are a million manufacturers and they all seem reasonably the same right? 8GB of whatever? Any recommendations?

WD Black HDD 1TB?

Corsair Vengence(close enough) 8GB?
For most people, it doesn't matter too much where you get your RAM as long as it has good customer service and warranty. I prefer Crucial, not just because they're good, but because they're a 'regional' business that I want to support. But yeah, Corsair Vengeance is fine. Remember to get 1.5v sticks as 1.35 are 'low power' and 1.6 are overclocked I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky
A new stepping may improve voltages, though part of the issue is that smaller dies have less surface area with which to dissipate heat.
Yeah I was reading that it was basically same voltage + more dense area = lots of concentrated heat.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread