Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Cooler Master TPC 812 CPU Cooler Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Cooler Master TPC 812 CPU Cooler Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...er-Review/1553

Here is a snippet:
"The newest CPU cooler from the traditional manufacturer, Cooler Master, is the TPC 812, which has a tower heatsink with a 120 mm fan, six U-shaped heatpipes, and two vapor chambers. Let's see if it re..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2012, 07:25 PM   #2
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Yet another really nice lookin and good performing HSF, BUT yet another HSF which is unusable by thoose who own DIMMS with tall heat spreaders.... Is it me or do manufacturers just not give a damn about compatibility for all
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonite View Post
Yet another really nice lookin and good performing HSF, BUT yet another HSF which is unusable by thoose who own DIMMS with tall heat spreaders.... Is it me or do manufacturers just not give a damn about compatibility for all
It is not completely true: it depends on the motherboard design. In this case, it avoid do install tall DIMMs only on the first memory socket.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #4
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafael Coelho View Post
It is not completely true: it depends on the motherboard design. In this case, it avoid do install tall DIMMs only on the first memory socket.
and if you've got 4 x Corsair dimms with the DHX heat spreaders than what your telling me to use a dimm without the DHX heat spreader in soket 1 pffft kinda defeats the purpose of buying a matched set doesn't it

all HSF manufacturers need to do is increase the distance between the base of the HSF and the first fin by around 10~15MM and the problem would be solved
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
truprecht

Join Date May 2012
truprecht is on a distinguished road

The cooling performance is almost perfectly correlated with the noisiness. You should really do a scatter plot with the temps on one axis and the noise on the other. That way it's much easier for readers to see which coolers offer better cooling/noise performance.

Otherwise, your reviews are great - keep up the good work!

Actually they're not nearly perfectly correlated - I get .52 - but there's a problem with the data on the Zalman 9900 - the table shows the dBA = 41, but the graph shows it at 51. Which is it? If it's 41, it has the best Cooling/Noise ratio of the group by far.
truprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 03:00 PM   #6
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by truprecht View Post
The cooling performance is almost perfectly correlated with the noisiness. You should really do a scatter plot with the temps on one axis and the noise on the other. That way it's much easier for readers to see which coolers offer better cooling/noise performance.

Otherwise, your reviews are great - keep up the good work!

Actually they're not nearly perfectly correlated - I get .52 - but there's a problem with the data on the Zalman 9900 - the table shows the dBA = 41, but the graph shows it at 51. Which is it? If it's 41, it has the best Cooling/Noise ratio of the group by far.
It was a typing error on the table, the true SPL for the CNPS9900 Max is 51 dB. Thanks for your help!

The ploting of performance vs noise is a good idea if you want to know the correlation between those variables, but the graphs are much easier to be read by most readers the way they are.
The .52 was achieved with 41 dB for the CNPS9900?

Last edited by Rafael Coelho; 05-23-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #7
truprecht

Join Date May 2012
truprecht is on a distinguished road

If the dBA on the CNPS9900 is changed to 51, the correlation goes up to .65.

I think the cooling and noise bar graphs are fine, but most enthusiasts are concerned with both cooling and noise, not just one or the other. You should add a 3rd graph, either a scatter plot or just a bar graph of the cooling/noise ratio. If someone is geeky enough to be reading these reviews, they're geeky to want to see the best cooling/noise ratio.

Based on that, the Zalman CNPS12 is the best... which is hard to discern from the separate bar graphs.

Anyway, not trying to argue or diminish your work. I'll keep reading even if you force me to make my own scatterplot in Excel.
truprecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008

Thanks for the suggestion, truprecht. We will discuss it here. For many users, scatter plot of performance versus price will be useful, too.

By the way, a correlation ratio of .65 means moderated correlation. This is expected, since there are other variables that affect the performance, such as heatsink mass, dissipating surface, thermal conductivity, etc.
Old 12-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #9
PapaSmurf

Join Date Feb 2011
PapaSmurf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athlonite View Post
and if you've got 4 x Corsair dimms with the DHX heat spreaders than what your telling me to use a dimm without the DHX heat spreader in soket 1 pffft kinda defeats the purpose of buying a matched set doesn't it

all HSF manufacturers need to do is increase the distance between the base of the HSF and the first fin by around 10~15MM and the problem would be solved
That would make the heatsink too tall to fit in the majority of cases if designed to use a 120mm fan. They could downsize it to use a 92mm fan, but that would reduce cooling efficiency dramatically.

But the problem isn't the heatsink, it's poorly designed motherboards placing the dim sockets too close to the cpu socket. There isn't a viable alternative to the size of the heatsink, or the clearance between the motherboard and bottom of the heatsink, but there is a definite alternative as to how close the ram sockets are in relation to the cpu.

Either that or cases that are wide enough to allow an extra 20mm of space for a taller heatsink.

Of course one could just not waste money on ram with oversized heatsinks. These heatsinks really don't do anything that a standard heatsink isn't capable of doing and are just for show anyway. I don't know about you, but I'll take a set of G.Skill Ares with normal heatsinks running with 8-8-8 timings at 1.5v anyday over a set of oversized Corsairs running at 9-9-9 (or higher) timings.
PapaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread