Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Inside the Apple III

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Inside the Apple III
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Apple-III/1563

Here is a snippet:
"The Apple III (or, more correctly, Apple ///), codenamed "Sara," was released in 1980 to be a "business" microcomputer. In this tutorial, we will take an in-depth look at its hardware and understand w..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2012, 04:03 PM   #2
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

(And, by that time, IBM had already released its second microcomputer and main competitor to the Apple III, the PC XT, which cost less.)

so nothing new for 2012 then apple gear still costs more

we used apple IIe's when I was in school we had 3 of them and it cost the school a small fortune
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I was addicted to the Apple IIe in the 1980s. I decided to start our "Museum" with the Apple III due to its obscurity.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:49 PM   #4
Altema

Join Date Apr 2014
Altema is on a distinguished road

The chips coming unseated were a big deal, but easy to fix. Some times the memory board would ride up on the posts as well and lose connectivity. Although Apple said cooling was adequate, it apparently was only true for machines which were used for 8 hours and shut down, as it allowed them to cool off. The power supply was encapsulated in the heat sink chassis, and had no means of thermal conduction to the outside air except through he chassis itself, so eventually the thermal soak would result in elevated temperatures. I'm sure the tests in Apple's air-conditioned facilities were not real-world, because I would receive Apple ///'s for overhaul that were obviously heat stressed. One /// was installed in a warehouse with it's back pushed against a wall, and left running for years. The chips did not creep out of their sockets because there were no heating/cooling cycles, but the memory board was actually charred from the heat.

Well, enough memories for now, but I still have my main Apple /// CPU and a spare parts machine, though I have not used it in a while. An Apple /// with 512k, SCSI drive, Bob Consorti's BOS operating system, Desktop Manager, and /// Easy Pieces was like heaven...

Paul

PS: By the way, I should comment that the /// was MUCH faster than it's IBM counterparts of the time, and faster than the Macintosh that replaced it. It was not until the 486 processor that IBM PC's could hold a candle to the old Apple. The 6502 processors performed all functions (screen refresh, memory addressing, etc.) in one clock cycle. 8080 processors and it's decendants required multiple clock cycles to do the same amount of work.

Last edited by Altema; 04-11-2014 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Correcting formatting
Altema is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread