Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Inside the “Card-That-Unlocks-All-Cable-Channels” Scam

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Inside the “Card-That-Unlocks-All-Cable-Channels” Scam
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...nels-Scam/1577

Here is a snippet:
"Have you ever heard of a smart card that unlocks all channels of your cable TV? This is obviously a scam, as no such device exists. Channels are locked and unlocked at the cable TV's side, not at the ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

I hope you held the guy there long enough for the police to arrive and arrest him filthy little scumbags like this need to taken out back and beaten with a big stick
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Never heard of that one before.

What we do get a lot of is fake "Windows Support" phone calls. The scammer rings you up and tells you about a list of viruses and problems they've supposedly discovered on your computer, and then ask you for your credit card details to "fix" the PC. The make you view the errors in the event log (which almost every PC has) to convince you that there really is a problem, and tell you that if you don't get them to "fix" it, the computer will die completely in a few days.

Last edited by c.hegge; 06-20-2012 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Typos

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:13 PM   #4
shriganesh

Join Date Jan 2012
shriganesh is on a distinguished road

Technically I do feel unlocking all the channels are possible. But only with a separate hardware. A small box that brute forces and unlocks the scrambled video signal. I've heard of such things and they work very well and they don't even need a smart card!

@c.hegge
How do they get you number in the first place? Also ask them how they know about your computer and if it's connected to the internet and how they identified your PC in the internet and how the hell they found out about the 'virus' without proper credentials and access!
shriganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi,

1. Yes, some people commented to me in private that it is technically possible to unlock all channels, but of course the card I got is a completely fake. I will update the wording on this tutorial later today.

2. I gave the card to Charter's fraud department.

Thanks,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
shriganesh

Join Date Jan 2012
shriganesh is on a distinguished road

Yes Gabriel, correct. The hotel door smart card did the trick
My RIG: Ci52500K, 16GB DDR3 1333 RAM, 1X120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD (Boot Drive), 2X2TB HDDs, Asus DVD+RW, Galaxy GeForceGTX570 GPU, Corsair 750W 80PLUS silver and Cooler Master (SOME MODEL) case. WinXP PRO & Win 7 x64
shriganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #7
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by shriganesh View Post
Technically I do feel unlocking all the channels are possible. But only with a separate hardware. A small box that brute forces and unlocks the scrambled video signal. I've heard of such things and they work very well and they don't even need a smart card!

@c.hegge
How do they get you number in the first place? Also ask them how they know about your computer and if it's connected to the internet and how they identified your PC in the internet and how the hell they found out about the 'virus' without proper credentials and access!
they use an auto-dialler and quite often they'll argue with you about your PC being a window box if you tell them you use linux or OSx here have a gandies at this thread on geekzone

http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp...&topicid=66095
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread