Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Cooling

Old 11-15-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default Fan Upgrade to Improve Cooling in Dell Inspiron 537s

I have come a long way since becoming a diy of my pc. One problem, though, I cannot seem to solve is how to get more cooling out of the fans in my 537s. I've repalced a 250w PSU with a 400w to accomodate the new Radeon GPU I needed to play World of Warcraft. Now, with my pc having a slimline case I am worried about overheating with these new components in place. The fan on the heatsink simply does not seem to spin very fast, nor does the case fan. I have cleaned them thoroughly with a can of compressed air -- there is no dust hindering movement. I searched all of cyberspace to find a way to make my machine increase fan speed. Speed Fan or other similar software are unable to effect fan speed. I was wondering and hoping if there are cpu fans and case fans that will spin faster and allow control if I were able to upgrade to them. BTW, when I was trying to use Speed Fan it did display that the case fan and cpu fan were running at approx. 1088 rpm and about 530 rpm -- however it did not indicate which fan was spinning at those speeds respectively. Maybe someone can tell me if those rpms are enough and/or normal. Thanks everyone and have a nice day. alP
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-16-2012, 07:06 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

More important then checking the fan speed is to check the CPU temperature. What is you CPU and at what temperature is it running?
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #3
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Based on Speed Fan, I have blue arrows pointing down for all temps except one. The readings do not specify exactly what temp they correspond to. It has: Temp 1 = 99F, Temp2 = -198F, Temp3 = -98F, HDO = 102F, Temp1 (again) = 86F, GPU: 107F, Core0 = 99F, Core1 = 102F. The only significant change in these temps is while gaming the GPU temp goes up to 135 to 140F. I dont know if that is acceptable or not.
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:36 AM   #4
jerry6

Join Date Nov 2012
jerry6 is on a distinguished road

hardwareinfo can adjust fan speeds at least it does on my laptops

http://www.hwinfo.com/
jerry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:33 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

These temperatures are acceptable.

@jerry6: it is only possible to adjust fan speeds by software if the fan has PWM control (i.e., has a four-pin connector). While this is the norm on laptops, this is not usual on desktops.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
jerry6

Join Date Nov 2012
jerry6 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
These temperatures are acceptable.

@jerry6: it is only possible to adjust fan speeds by software if the fan has PWM control (i.e., has a four-pin connector). While this is the norm on laptops, this is not usual on desktops.
Guess Dell does not use 4 pin fan headers , my desktops work with hardware monitor , Sabertooth 990 and Gigabyte 890 fx ud5 with AMD 1100t and logiysys mc3002 gx .
Sorry bout that
jerry6 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread