Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 11-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #1
Barto

Join Date Nov 2012
Barto is on a distinguished road

Smile Looking for ideas

Hi everyone

I'm looking to purchase a new desktop computer either on the black friday discounts or some time around next summer but either way research prevails. I haven't built a computer before so will be looking for pre-built models, and similarly the reason I came to ask is I'm not so much a hardware person.

My general tasks include:
  • Casual gaming e.g. WoW, Runescape or rarely a steam game (though that might change with a better computer)
  • Programming e.g. Java IDE, Dreamweaver
  • VMWare e.g. running, probably at most, 1 OS (Windows / Linux)
  • Image editing e.g. Adobe photoshop and Illustrator

My everyday tasks tend to include:
  • Internet browsing - normally at least 8+ tabs running with browser extentions - tends to sit at around 500MB RAM usage
  • Skype - normally 1 or ocassionally 2 accounts open
  • PuTTy - I'm pretty much always connected to one of my servers
  • Spotify
  • Then usually something from the above list would also be running e.g. game, programming, word processing. I would like to run more than one thing at once.

At the moment I only have a laptop with Intel i3, 4G RAM. With windows and all the services that come with it running it's normally using 45-50% RAM, plus my browser and everything else brings this to about 75-80% - not to mention the heat of the system. So I normally have to close something if I want to do one of the 'general tasks' which hog CPU/RAM - if I had a better CPU+more RAM I would run these things at the same time.

Ideally I would like it to be Linux/Debian compatible.

Thanks in advance for anyone kind enough to give me some ideas!
Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

We would need to know your price range.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:19 PM   #3
Barto

Join Date Nov 2012
Barto is on a distinguished road

Sorry - $800 give or take a bit

I would like it to last (not rubbish parts that break), more so that I can just upgrade parts.

Also I have a question. I'm not sure how on board Intel graphics compare for the different CPUs (i3, i5, i7.) I use on board graphics on my i3 for WoW and it runs ok but I just have to close all other programs... So if an i5/i7 has better on board graphics then I guess this could work for my casual gaming and skip the $200+ graphics card...

Also how does AMD compare to Intel? AMD is obviously cheaper.
Barto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:23 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

You could get the A8 "Trinity" APU for what you want. It is not the fastest integrated graphics, but it is good for WoW and you should be well below your price range! Read this review to see how it compares to the Core i3 and Pentium G:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...PU-Review/1656

Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread