Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Software > Operating Systems

Old 11-26-2012, 06:17 AM   #1
dragonbat13

Join Date Apr 2012
dragonbat13 is on a distinguished road

Default A simple file moving question.

Ok this is a simple question. Say I have D: as two 64G SSD drives in RAID 0 (Boot/Application drive) and E: as one 3TB HDD.

If I move a programs shortcut from one folder to another within the same drive I know that it only moves the file location and not the actual info on the drive.

My question is, If I move the files shortcut from E: to D: or vice versa will it transfer the entire program? Will I have conflicts with the RAID?

Reason I want to know is because I want to keep D: as uncluttered as possible. If I have two or three games on the computer I want to keep the game I am into at the time on D: and store the others on E:

Is there any reason this would be a bad idea? I dont see any reason why it would, it seems simple enough.
dragonbat13 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #2
keith.aranjuez

Join Date May 2012
philippines
keith.aranjuez is on a distinguished road

moving the shortcuts will not transfer the entire program. it will just transfer the "reference" to the executable file of your application. if you want you can just transfer the shortcuts and modify the location of their target exe's on the shortcuts accordingly

Last edited by keith.aranjuez; 11-26-2012 at 08:21 AM. Reason: typo
keith.aranjuez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 AM   #3
dragonbat13

Join Date Apr 2012

The reason I want to move the entire file in and out of the SSD is to limit the size of the SSD, but have the performance of the SSD with the current game that I am playing.

Lets say I have E: open it one window and D: open in another. Then I drag the icon for the program from one to the other. Does that still just move the shortcut or the entire program? I know thats how it works with a jump drive.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:58 AM   #4
keith.aranjuez

Join Date May 2012
philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonbat13 View Post
The reason I want to move the entire file in and out of the SSD is to limit the size of the SSD, but have the performance of the SSD with the current game that I am playing.

Lets say I have E: open it one window and D: open in another. Then I drag the icon for the program from one to the other. Does that still just move the shortcut or the entire program? I know thats how it works with a jump drive.
do you mean you want to move the entire game folder or just the program shortcut? if it's the shortcut then it will not transfer the entire program. if you are referring to the actual ".exe" of the program, your program will surely not run because the required files should be in the same folder with the .exe.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

You would need to remove (uninstall) the program and then reinstall it, and during installation you would need to point to the exact drive you want it to be installed, using "advanced" during installation.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:48 PM   #6
dragonbat13

Join Date Apr 2012

So in other words there is no way of doing this without a complete install. The biggest problem with that is that the game would restart. In other words, if I had a game saved after months of playing the games settings would surely be lost.

Perhaps a better way would be to store the games on a seperate drive, most likely some sort of stand alone drive that I could move the games to other computers if I wanted.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:53 PM   #7
keith.aranjuez

Join Date May 2012
philippines

what games are you playing? the GTA series (at least for me, vice city and san andreas) behaves like a portable application. i placed them in a flash drive and played them wherever i want (just include the settings file and the save games)
Old 11-28-2012, 06:27 AM   #8
jcgeny
Banned

Join Date Mar 2011
jcgeny is on a distinguished road

most games save in document folder or in document\game
it means C:\Users\*\Documents , C:\Users\*\Documents\My Games or even C:\Users\*\Saved Games
jcgeny is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread