Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 11-28-2012, 09:36 AM   #1
Nujabes

Join Date Nov 2012
Nujabes is on a distinguished road

Default Help improving self built PC

So, roughly two years ago I decided to learn how to buy some computer parts and put a computer together myself with the help of some people on some forums. The experience went very smoothly and my computer is still running fairly great to this day, however I also want to make it a little bit better. And, I think the video card is the part that I am looking at specifically.

-Coolermaster HAF 922
-Western Digital Caviar Black 500g
-GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3, XFX 5770
-4g G.Skill Ripjaw 1600
-Corsair 650W, 955
-Phenom II X4 3.2 GHz
-Windows 7

As of right now I am not quite getting the fps I want even though I am only using a 1600x900 monitor. Games like Witcher 2, Starcraft 2, and Skyrim are the type of games that I would like to play on max settings. As of right now however, I feel gimped on Witcher 2. On Starcraft 2, I can run at max settings however when a huge battle happens 200/200 food the fps isnt what I would need. Therefore, I decide to play on medium settings when I play that game. And Skyrim I can play on max graphics, but I dont feel its quite as optimal as it could be.

So I ask you guys for some help, do you think that the graphics card is what I should replace in order to replace the problem I am talking about? And, if so do you have any recommendations on what sort of card would be good enough for my needs?
I have sort of been looking at the saphire vapor x 7770, for $130, because I think this would probably be the bump I need to get what I want out of a graphics card. But do you think its worth it to spend more/less on something else? Also, the video card I have currently I find to be very very loud when I am playing a game that is graphically demanding. I find this to be pretty annoying, I would much rather find a much quieter sounding graphics cards, despite me playing a graphically demanding game.

Last edited by Nujabes; 11-28-2012 at 09:44 AM.
Nujabes is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
jcgeny
Banned

Join Date Mar 2011
jcgeny is on a distinguished road

i have seen there is a bios update made few days ago : http://www.gigabyte.us/search/search...770T-USB3#pr-1

i would ask gigabyte support what cpus , mobo can use .
the AMD FX 6100 (3.3 GHz) Processor 6-Core socket AM3+ Cache L3 8 Mo 0.032 micron TDP 95W
looks very good and is at 110 euros/130 dollars
it can make a good boost to the vga you have and needs only 95 W
then i would add 4 Go of ram ;']

for the vga change , you should wait new-year and the fall of price after xmas . a pcie-2x , hd 6k or nv500 with 2 Go ram
jcgeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

There are two upgrades needed on your computer. First, increasing the RAM from 4 GB to 8 GB. And secondly, replacing the video card. The Radeon HD 5770 was a great video card at the time, but right now there are far better options... What is your budget?
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #4
Nujabes

Join Date Nov 2012

Thank you two for the replies, although I am a little surprised by your suggestions. I really was not thinking about upgrading my ram, because I have always been told 4gig of good quality ram was enough for gaming, and the CPU although not the best seemed to be doing what I needed.

That said, I really am open to suggestions, which is why I am asking a variety of sources on the internet. If you guys think those are better options to replace, then I am totally open to the idea. I do not have a set budget, but more of a goal. That goal is to play Starcraft 2 on ultra settings while getting 50 + fps during huge battles, skyrim with good fps on ultra settings, and to be able to play witcher 2 with some decent graphic settings. These are goals that I am already doing with my current set up, but I am just note quite there. In an ideal world, I would spend less than 200 dollars on a card that would do that.. But if need be I can well beyond that number.

I plan on upgrading my monitor to a 1920x 1080 resolution soon as well. The video is the part of the computer I am really focusing on to upgrade, but like I said if you guys think that upgrading the RAM and CPU is worth while then mybee that is something I should look at more specifically.

Suggestions from some other sources, have recommended the 650 ti graphic card. What do you guys think of this option? Is there other options? Should I be focusing on a different part of the computer? I really dont feel like I am need of a huge upgrade with my computer, but more of just a slight bump in the graphics side of things. I also like this opportunity to replace my graphic card to a much quieter one ( mine is super loud during high graphic games).

Last edited by Nujabes; 11-29-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
jcgeny
Banned

Join Date Mar 2011

here is a link to a game bench having a lot of vga and cpu compared : http://www.techspot.com/review/507-m...formance-test/

you ll see that a powerfull cpu helps to get some more fps with same vga , then you ll see that in the jungle of vga cards , some older are better than latest .

with cpu and games , it is better to have high mhz than cores/cpu .

as you seem to be mostly happy with your pc that is why i told you to update cpu and ram , to get few more fps you want and be ready to update the vga when will come next game you ll want to be able to play , may be using dx12 ;']
Old 11-29-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
Nujabes

Join Date Nov 2012

What is dx12? Your advice is really something I hadnt really thought of much jcgeny, and it intrigues me. Is my CPU really more outdated than my video card at this point? It does seem like pretty cool advice though that I could possibly get the results of what I want out of my video card by simply buying a CPU + ram for roughly the same price as what a good video card would cost. And later, this would let me to get a cheaper graphics card. Hm.

With updating Operating systems or reinstalling. When I put together my computer I boought OEM windows 7. Ive read some conflicting views on what this does with reinstalling software. Ive heard that as long as its the same computer that you can replace the CPU, but you usually have to call microsoft or something? Could I get some clarification on this. Because, I think with replacing the just the graphics card I would not have the same problem.

Something I find interresting is the difference between my current CPU and the one you linked is only 20 dollars according to newegg. However the graphics cards of my current and the 650ti have a difference of 100 dollars.

Last edited by Nujabes; 11-29-2012 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
jcgeny
Banned

Join Date Mar 2011

amd has just started the war-price on cpu market , in previous link i posted, it is clear that this new cpu boosts the vga of 20 to 25 fps .
even with "old" games that only use 2 cpu/cores while new games will use certainly 4 to 8 as most intel are now 4 cpu/core + 4 cpu/core/ht .

dx 12 is for directX12 , next vga cards with some new instructions for new special-effects .that you will NOT have with the 650

for the rest have a look at : http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/lo...post#post26039
he has low ram and slow old cpu with an hd7k....

Last edited by jcgeny; 11-30-2012 at 05:51 AM. Reason: to add NOT ;[
Old 11-30-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Your CPU should be fine for running games, as from mid-range and above the CPU is not that important for gaming performance as most of the performance is limited by the video card. I stand on my previous recommendations as above. You can do what jcgeny recommends, i.e. upgrade the CPU, but I don't think this is necessary and not what you are looking for, as you will probably need to replace the motherboard as well, and spend more than you probably want.

DirectX 12 does not exist yet. Why this user brought this up is a mystery.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:21 PM   #9
Nujabes

Join Date Nov 2012

Thank you for the reply. I think as of now I am going to end up buying the 650 ti for a graphics card, and I might also buy another 4 gigs of RAM.

I really do appreciate the advice.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 AM   #10
jcgeny
Banned

Join Date Mar 2011

direct x 12 should not be very far away in the future , his cpu is not able to send enough instructions to the vga cards . his new cpu will be able to send all datas to his current hd5k and also to his next vga that he will need with next release of games that should be using directx12 .
if he takes a vga , it is a directx11 or 11.1 and his cpu will not be able to feed it either , so i bet he ll have to buy a new cpu and a new vga these coming months because he did not made it in the right order ;']
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread