Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Video

Old 11-29-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default Low Frame Rate

Hi, thanks to all who have been helpful to me in the past few weeks. I play World of Warcraft exclusively as far as games go. In September, Blizzard released the latest expansion and I've been leaping hurdles to bring my PC up to par with it.
I am running a Dell Inspiron 537s with: Windows 7, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.66 Ghz, 3 GB of RAM and a AMD Radeon HD 7750 GPU. The GPU specs are: 1 GB memory, 800 Mhz processor, 128 bandwidth and 512 streaming processors. (I had to upgrade the PSU from 250W to 400W to accommodate the new GPU.)
All of my system specs exceed Blizzard's recommended (not minimum) system requirements. AMD assured me before my purchase that the GPU would play World of Warcraft effortlessly. I am only trying to use the recommended settings in the game's graphic interface screen.
The frame rate fluctuates drastically up and down. When there isnt much activity, frame rate is around 100fps. But when there is a lot of graphical activity or intense game play, the frame rate drops to below 30 and it all gets choppy.
Things I've tried: Updated network card driver, updated GPU driver, set GPU to factory default settings, checked Internet speed and is running at a consistent 8Mps with 1Mps upload, reset router and allowed for its firmware, checked Windows utility to see CPU usage and RAM usage during game play (all okay), check temps with Speed Fan (all okay) and no unnecessary background programs are running.
Blizzard tech support is out of ideas for me. From the tiny bit I know about PCs, it seems it could be a memory issue since it seems to happen when there would be a lot going on for hardware to momentarily store.
My motherboard can hold (two), 2 GB RAM chips. It currently has a 2 GB and a 1 GB. Is it possible the issue could lie in that there are not two alike RAM cards in the slots? This is truly a mystery to me and even those much more knowledgeable than I.
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
jcgeny
Banned

Join Date Mar 2011
jcgeny is on a distinguished road

cpu is not powerful enough , updating it means re-updating the psu again ...or having at full load all time .
a good psu is best at 50% load , it has no waste of energy whatever it is a 80 silver , gold or platinium. [ so silver is best choice because it is cheaper and very close to gold at higher loads ]
jcgeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

The CPU is a little older, but I don't think it is the curlpit; adding more RAM will help, and replacing your video card will help as well. As mentioned above, you may need a new PSU as well.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #4
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Okay, thanks for the replies. Well firstly, I am unfortunately baffled as to what silver and platinum PSUs are. I just know it is not generic, but also probably not top of the line either -- the manufacturer is MegaPower. I know they make a lot of widely used products and I just assumed it would run everything okay. Also, having a slimline case, I have found that there are no PSUs higher than 400W on the market that will fit. As far as the GPU, it is supposed to be above and beyond the specs for Warcraft.
Blizzard RECOMMENDED (not minimum) requirements are: Intel Dual Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz, 4 GB RAM, Radeon HD 4850 series with 512 MB memory or better.
My CPU is 2.66 -- better than recommended.
My GPU is Radeon 7700 series 1GB memory -- newer and better than Radeon 4850
Only my RAM is lacking by 1 GB.
I guess the solution I am interested in exploring is whether the fact that I have one RAM card with 2GB memory made by one manufacturer and one 1GB RAM card by a different manufacturer, if that is producing a conflict of some sort that is not allowing the full potential of RAM required to play. However, I have used the Windows tool that puts a gauge on the desktop showing CPU usage and RAM usage. The CPU is using 34% while playing and the RAM throttles around 67% to 71%. Blizzard said that is actually good.
So I'm still not sure of the culprit. I guess I can fork out a few more bucks and try the RAM upgrade. Well, thanks again and please let me know if anyone thinks of anything else.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:52 AM   #5
jcgeny
Banned

Join Date Mar 2011
jcgeny is on a distinguished road

dual core and hd4k were made at same time , while the hd7k is made at the time of the i7 that is 4 or 6 core with ht... at nearly the double of frequency of your cpu [ if overclocked ]
turbo of latest i7 being near 4 Ghz without overclocking : that says all

your cpu does not sent enough instructions to the vga while an i7 does especially if a lot of things or players are moving .

for silver and platinium , it is a system that score how is good a psu :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/80_Plus
http://www.plugloadsolutions.com/80P...rSupplies.aspx

[an ups is also very good to protect the psu from over/under-voltage and so the mainboard and all it has]
jcgeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
tomahawk 1705

Join Date Feb 2007
Vancouver B.C. Canada
tomahawk 1705 is on a distinguished road

Default Slimline PSU

It might be tough for you to find a PSU for that type of case it's not a standard
configuration your choices will be limited for that case. The most standard type
of PSU enclosures are almost a square box type yours will be more of a longer rectangular shape.

How ever if you have a computer recycling place near by, you could pick up a nice used Mini ATX or Standard ATX case for almost nothing and transfer the motherboard,hard drives ,DVD drives,card readers ect. out of that slimline case.

This would greatly enhance your choices for a nice PSU upgrade at a good price.

Tomahawk

Last edited by tomahawk 1705; 12-01-2012 at 03:03 PM.
tomahawk 1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #7
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Hi jcgency and tomahawk. First, let me thank you tomahawk for your reply. Yes I have found that the PSU for my slimline case is of a shape and size different from any other desktop and contrary to some form factors described on EBay purported to fit a slimline case, it is called TFX. I almost bought something that wouldnt fit when I upgraded from a 250W to this 400W, which is as far as I know, the highest output available for a TFX.
Anyway I am tending to lean toward the CPU as the root of my problem here. jcgency has sufficiently explained that although all of my components are working together and I am getting performance, my GPU is overshadowing my CPU. I just didnt understand why my Core 2 Duo wouldnt power the HD7750 when Blizzard's system requirements list the CPU as recommended and suggest the best GPU you can get. It implies one's Core 2 Duo will run a GPU capable of being installed on a motherboard housing a Core 2 Duo. I am sure Blizzard's developers and technicians are aware of the potential of hardware combinations, and I know why they want to say a Core 2 Duo is recommended. But perhaps the post for minimum and recommended should also include a bracket for optimum.
So the only card in the deck I am willing to try to play before just deciding to devote my money to building a good gaming PC, is to upgrade to the Core 2 Quad Extreme CPU. It is the fastest one I can put onto this motherboard. If I am talking new motherboard, I am talking a totally new build starting from case. With all the debt I'll have after the holiday, I'd like to avoid that.
The price on a new Extreme is just as well spent toward building something new, but a refurbished one from a trusted retailer is an option. It has, of course, four processors but no hyper-threading. I dont know if a 400W PSU will support that upgrade (my Duo is 65W and the extreme is 95W). So my last question on the Warcraft/Frame Rate issue is: will the Quad Extreme with 2.6+ Ghz run the HD 7750 to its full, or near to full, potential? Well, thanks again to you all.

albertP
Old 12-06-2012, 11:23 PM   #8
tomahawk 1705

Join Date Feb 2007
Vancouver B.C. Canada
tomahawk 1705 is on a distinguished road

NP just be careful with that upgrade usually BIOS support is pretty crappy to non existent with pre-assembled big brand names such as Dell, HP, eMachines and the from what I have read around the net LGA775 socket was a real minefield for upgrading

Many problems with incompatability even though it's obvious that the CPU is an LGA 775 and your socket is LGA 775 it's not that simple I made that mistake thats why I have an extra E6400 laying around I tried to upgrade my HP Media Center from a Pentium D the HP site says it was C2D compatible but it didn't work. Luckily it was only 25 bucks from Free Geek Vancouver so not a big loss.

tomahawk out
tomahawk 1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:46 AM   #9
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Default Going with MOBO/CPU combo

yeah, I have found through researching that is going to be cheaper, easier and get more performance to just buy a decent motherboard/cpu combo. I saw a nice manufacturer refurbish on an i5/ASUS motherboard with a 90 day warranty for $50 less than I'd spend on a Core 2 Quad. Thanks all.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread