Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Cooling

Old 12-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
Sephirs

Join Date Dec 2012
Sephirs is on a distinguished road

Default First Build: CPU Temp

Hello, this is my first build so I am not sure if I am doing anything correctly (Just found this site after I bought all my parts, really sad about that). I was wondering if my CPU is heating too much; here's the data.

PC Spec:
Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard
Intel i7 3770k (Not overclocking yet)
CPU Cooler Hyper 212 Plus (Using 1 fan)
G.Skill 32BGB (4x8GB) Sniper Series DDR3-1866
EVGA GTX 660 Ti
Silent Pro Gold 800W Power Supply
Intel 240GB SSD Drive
Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced Full ATX Tower (3x 230mm fan, 1x 140mm fan, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160)

I have all the fan connected; but the motherboard gave a fan error for the CPU (Hyper 212+) fan and 1 of the 230 case fan. I did a little research, and it seems to be that the motherboard has a minimum of 600 rpm, and both were under. I modified the BIOS to 500 and 400 respectively; and that lets me install my OS.

I just ran 2 stress test; Prime95 and IntelBurnTest v2.54;
The large FFTs test and the IntelBurnTest completed; however the temperature got really high. All 4 cores are almost at 70C when running both test and around 22C at idle. I tried googling the fan RPM of Hyper 212+ and the full load temp of the CPU, but did not get any reliable result.

I just want to confirm the CPU is not running too hot; or is this temperature normal for a full load? Any help would be appreciated!

While I'm asking, I plan to run a few more stress test (memteset86+ and Furmark). Are there any good performance measuring tool I can use to benchmark my setup? Thanks again.
Sephirs is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Sephirs,
We already tested the Hyper 212 Plus, with an overclocked CPU:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ler-Review/956
Maybe, if your room temp is really high, with a low-rpm fan, this may be the best this cooler can offer.
But you should check the cooler installation, and if the thermal compound is correctly applied.
If the temperature continues high, try a more powerful fan. 70C should be normal with stock fans, not with a fairy good cooler as this one.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
Sephirs

Join Date Dec 2012
Sephirs is on a distinguished road

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I went back and re-installed the heat sink/fan. I believe the performance is about the same; maybe slightly better. Core#1 reached a max temp of 69C whereas core 0, 2 and 3 were below 65C. The room the computer is hosted in is about the same condition as listed on your test(~20C) and the fan is going ~1500 RPM. You guys got about 64C, so I think this is somewhat in the range. I'm going to leave it the way it is for a while and see what happens. Hope this doesn't mess anything up.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 12-11-2012 at 09:19 AM. Reason: reply, not replay
Sephirs is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread