Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Fractal Design Integra R2 750 W Power Supply Review

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Fractal Design Integra R2 750 W Power Supply Review
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ly-Review/1688

Here is a snippet:
"The Fractal Design Integra R2 is available in 500 W, 650 W, and 750 W versions, all with the 80 Plus Bronze certification. Let's take a look at the 750 W model, which comes with a very nice price tag...."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-10-2012, 08:40 AM   #2
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

After findings about the capacitors in the Corsair V2 Builder, and in some OCZ units, it seems to me that at least one notch ought to be taken off any award if the PSU doesn't have all-Japanese capacitors. If "Golden" is the best, not having Japanese caps isn't it.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Onus,

We have to always keep in mind the price of the unit. In this case, the unit has a suggested price of only USD 80, which I think it is an outstanding price for what it has to offer, and reflects the non-Japanese caps it uses.

Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I'm with Onus on this one, after the number of times I've seen PCs get destroyed because of failed PSU caps. It costs the manufacturer maybe an extra $2 or $3 to use Jap caps. I'd much rather pay for that bit extra than have to recap it in a few years, especially when bad caps will send the ripple through the roof and can fry attached hardware.

FWIW, I always knock stuff back two awards for Teapo, regardless of the price.

The voltage regulation could probably use some tweaking too

Last edited by c.hegge; 12-10-2012 at 05:14 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:06 PM   #5
mockingbird

Join Date May 2010
mockingbird is on a distinguished road

I disagree...

PSUs with Teapo SC series caps should pass as medium-quality units, especially at $80.

Excellent review Gabe.
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #6
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
I disagree...

PSUs with Teapo SC series caps should pass as medium-quality units, especially at $80.

Excellent review Gabe.
I'm not saying it shouldn't pass, nor even not get an award, just that it shouldn't be Golden. It's not in the same league with Seasonic now, is it?
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:06 AM   #7
alan 50

Join Date Dec 2012
alan 50 is on a distinguished road

I've been running a Delta manufactured Antec with Teapo caps for 4 years in extreme conditions. No problems whatsoever.
alan 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #8
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

I've never seen Delta use Teapo. Ever.

In any case, though, Delta are the exception. I often see them use LTEC and Capxon, and they hold up just fine, while they fail within 2 or 3 years for everyone else.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #9
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onus View Post
After findings about the capacitors in the Corsair V2 Builder, and in some OCZ units, it seems to me that at least one notch ought to be taken off any award if the PSU doesn't have all-Japanese capacitors. If "Golden" is the best, not having Japanese caps isn't it.
We have been through this a few times over the years and Gabriel awards more on value than quality. I think it has a lot to do with his original audience.
As I understand they have fewer choices and are way over charged for what is offered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge
In any case, though, Delta are the exception. I often see them use LTEC and Capxon, and they hold up just fine, while they fail within 2 or 3 years for everyone else.
We all know heat kills caps. Better design and placement most probably explains this. Just like primary caps have lesser quality specs than secondary caps. Some even think 85C is good enough for primary caps.
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 AM   #10
alan 50

Join Date Dec 2012
alan 50 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
I've never seen Delta use Teapo. Ever.

Sorry, meant to say Samxon. Never had a problem. The Samxon's are fine and that is what is on my "work" system". My 2 "fun" systems have PSU's with Nippon Chemicon and Teapo caps. No problems there - either.

I'll certainly defer to Gabriel on this, but from what I have observed, most PSU failures are NOT due to cap fails.
alan 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread