Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Power

Old 12-11-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Glenys

Join Date Dec 2012
Glenys is on a distinguished road

Default Knotting in Charger cables - ?dangerous?

Hi
I am new to the forum, so hope I have the right thread. We have a younger member of the family just come to live with us, who out of habit (I imagine) ties knot, after knot, after knot in her palm-top power/charging lead. The lead is often draped across soft furnishings. We have told her on numerous occasions to stop, and to undo the knots, as we have reason to believe it is dangerous, can cause shorting, shocks and housefires. I think she believes we are having a laugh, as no one seems to have stopped her doing it before. Are we being silly, and is her attempt at actually trying to knit a jumper with the power cord quite safe after all, or do we need to start being heavier handed for our own protection.
Glenys is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #2
tomahawk 1705

Join Date Feb 2007
Vancouver B.C. Canada
tomahawk 1705 is on a distinguished road

A kink or a bend in the wire can increase the electrical resistance of the wire inside which could increase the tempurature of the cable.

I know that from avionics cables in aircraft if you accidentally bend a wire in an aircraft the wire has to be re-tested for resistance specs and most likley becomes scrap and have to install a new cable.

tomahawk out
tomahawk 1705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 AM   #3
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Bending a power cable can only increase electrical resistance and/or reduce mechanical resistance on rigid cables.
Computer (and any home electronics) power cable are malleable, which means bending or even knotting them will not cause any harm.
It can actually even act as a line filter, helping to protect the device against power line interference.
Ou course, I am talking about making knots and leave them alone. Making and unmaking knots several times on the same wire can cause short circuits, and that is dangerous.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

... or can break the internal wires if you keep bending, bending, and bending...
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread