Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Cooling

Old 01-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #1
MolecularMachine

Join Date Jan 2013
MolecularMachine is on a distinguished road

Default CPU is hotter than usual when idle

I have an i5 2500k , a gtx 260 , and my cpu cooler is a Scythe Kabuto. Here's the issue i have:
I changed the thermal paste yesterday, after about a year of usage. I tried several ways, pea sized, a rice grain, a vertical line. I experimented with the quantity and the shape.
Before each time i applied the thermal paste, i cleaned the cpu and the cooler with alchohol and a cloth.
The results were pretty much the same with each different application, my temperature was higher than it used to be. I had 28-29~ idle , now i have 40-42~ idle.
The cooler is sitted properly i triple checked everytime. I have done this several times . The paste i use is The Chill Factor Thermalright.

And now to that adds also this weird part : When i use prime95 or intelburntest my cpu temperature stays the same as idle. 40-42 ~ .
But when i use a gpu burn test like Furmark my gpu rises from 50~ idle to 70+++ and immediately the cpu follows to 70 ~.
Also when i play for example league of legends my cpu temp rises to 66~
I use speedfan and HWmonitor.
My motherboard is Gigabyte P67A-D3-B3.
Any ideas?
MolecularMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Probably, you problem is about bad case airflow. The GPU heats the air inside the case and the CPU cooler receives hot air.
What is your case model?
If it is not well ventiladed, consider to buy a new case, with side and top openings.
To put at least one fan blowing air into the case (front or bottom) and two as exhaust (rear and top panels) will solve your problem.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
altec.gs

Join Date Mar 2013
Minas Tirith .rs
altec.gs is on a distinguished road

First of all as Rafael said, you need to make sure that the airflow in your case is working as it should. Have at least one FAN that blows the air out of the case(usually one fan on rear or top of the case is enough for air extraction). Ideally, you should have this FAN combination: one 12cm FAN on front side of the case to intake cool air, one on the rear that blows it out, and another one on the top that does the same thing as the one on the rear side).
Next, you need to make sure that your case is not anywhere near your radiator or other heat source, since that alone can be the cause of your temps(which are normal for hot winter room)..
After that is checked, you need to have a dust free case, and what i mean by that is that you clean it from dust regularly.
altec.gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 PM   #4
damien9911

Join Date Mar 2013
damien9911 is on a distinguished road

Default New Thermal Compound Outperforms ALL

Graphene Thermal Compound surpasses all..Goto Graphene.ws, it is cheap too!!!!!
damien9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #5
Jesferkicks

Join Date Apr 2013
Jesferkicks is on a distinguished road

Another thing on the air flow within your machine ... ensure that your cables aren't getting in the way. A spaghetti farm of cables can significantly foul proper air flow. They should be tucked out of the way as much as possible.
Jesferkicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #6
Hood

Join Date Sep 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Hood is on a distinguished road

Default Worse Than Mayonnaise

Hey, you said that your temps increased after changing the thermal compound to Thermalright Chill Factor - look at this comparison, a shootout between popular thermal compounds, with some household substances thrown in to keep it real. Surprisingly, mayonnaise beat almost half the tested compounds, including yours - http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ry-2012/1468/5 - but at least The Chill Factor edged out mustard by 1 degree!
Try one of the compounds near the top of the list, like Arctic Silver 5 (available at Radio Shack).
As for the "weird part", I would be tempted to give up drinking if I saw results like that on my PC. That's definitely Twilight Zone action. Sensors with a mind of their own? Your PC may be self-aware and having a ball messing with your head!
Beware of products with cool-sounding names - the name may be the only cool thing about it.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread