Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #1
komet155

Join Date Jan 2013
komet155 is on a distinguished road

Question First time build, kinda...will these parts work well together?

First time I've tried my hand at building since Y2K.

So far I have:

NZXT Tempest 410 case
Asus BW-12B1ST BD-rom
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD Blue 500GB HD
5x 120mm Cougar Vortex CF-V12HPB fans
2x 140mm Cougar Vortex CF-V14HB fans
2x 8GB Patriot Viper pc3-12800 1600MHz DDR3 chips
Silverstone SST-FP37B card reader
(set in a 5.25 drive bay adapter neatly centered in a carefully cut drive faceplate)

First Question: Would the above work optimally with-
Asus P8Z77-V PRO motherboard
Intel I7-3770k processor
(brand undetermined) GeForce GTX 660 Ti card

Question 2: What size PSU would I need for this setup?

Question 3: Should I bother paying a little extra for the thunderbolt version motherboard? I plan on using this pc for a good 5 years and was thinking that within a couple of years it might be as necessary as USB was a dozen years ago.

Question 4: Is the GTX 660 Ti a good match with the above processor/mobo combo? That's probably the part I'll buy last as I wait for prices to fall.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by komet155; 01-03-2013 at 02:38 PM.
komet155 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

1. Yes, those parts will work fine with that board and CPU.

2. 600-650W would do fine. You could use an OCZ ZS series 650W, a Seasonic S12II 620W, Seasonic G-650, or XFX Core edition 650W. All of those are well built products which can deliver their full rated power without blowing up.

3. I don't know whether thunderbolt will take off or not. What is the price difference? If it's only a few extra dollars, then having it wouldn't hurt. You could also look at the Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4. I know it has thunderbolt, and it's quite a nice board.

4. It depends on what you want to do. The 660Ti is a decent card, and will probably handle most games OK, but you could still go higher, and not bottleneck it with the CPU.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
brispuss

Join Date Dec 2012
brispuss is on a distinguished road

Exclamation

A Western Digital Caviar Black HDD would be a better choice.

GTX 660 Ti video card is OK.

Are you going to (substantially) overclock? If so, then the i7-3770k CPU is probably suitable. If only moderately overclocking, then the i5-3570k CPU would be the better (cheaper) option. If you're not overclocking, then the i7-3770, or even the i5-3570 would be an even cheaper option.
brispuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.hegge View Post
3. I don't know whether thunderbolt will take off or not. What is the price difference? If it's only a few extra dollars, then having it wouldn't hurt.
IMO I wouldn't worry about it. IF it takes off they will be offering add in cards for older equipment to take advantage of the latest and greatest products. If you are not an early adopter then your next computer will then have the lastest version/specification of the technology.

Many thought it would take off this year since its Intel tech and it was thought that Intel would push it. So far not so much even if it is a good idea. Some think its because USB is so entrenched.
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

^
I was saying maybe if it's $5-10 or so in difference. I do agree with you, though. USB is so well established that it's hard for rival interfaces to get a good foothold in the market.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:56 AM   #6
komet155

Join Date Jan 2013
komet155 is on a distinguished road

C.Hegge:

Thanks for the recommendations for a PSU. I had chosen the 750W value to be on the safe side, but if 650W is good enough then it will save me some $$$.

As for "thunderbolt" it costs $30 more for the Z77 Pro-V with this option. Maybe it won't take off because USB 3.0 is good enough for most applications, and I don't have any thunderbolt peripherals or plan on getting any in the near future, so perhaps waiting and just adding a card when the time's right is the most economically wise choice. I'm not an early adopter, more like a second tier once prices start to drop kinda guy.

If by the time I'm ready to pick up my video card the 670Ti is more reasonably priced, I might just get that. Like I said, my plan is to build robustly enough so that it will take awhile before it becomes "too slow" to comfortably used. I got over 8 years out of my Pentium III 600MHz coppermine but by the time I replaced it was painfully slow!

BrisPuss:

I do plan on overclocking. In fact, I've just found an i7-3770k chip at Micro Center for $209.99 with coupon, so I'll definitely be using that one.

I'd read about the differences between black vs blue vs green WD drives and figured that blue is a good tradeoff between speed and noise and power consumption. I'll be loading the OS onto the SSD so hopefully speed won't be an issue with ordinary operations?

Merman: Well, knowing that there would be add-in cards for future upgrading makes it easier to just leave the thunderbolt thing alone for now. As I stated above, I don't see any such peripherals in my near future and besides, the cables appear to be ridiculously expensive at present, which I think won't make me want to rush out and buy thunderbolt stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merman View Post
IMO I wouldn't worry about it. IF it takes off they will be offering add in cards for older equipment to take advantage of the latest and greatest products. If you are not an early adopter then your next computer will then have the lastest version/specification of the technology.

Many thought it would take off this year since its Intel tech and it was thought that Intel would push it. So far not so much even if it is a good idea. Some think its because USB is so entrenched.
Thanks to everyone who's chimed in.
komet155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by komet155 View Post
C.Hegge:

Thanks for the recommendations for a PSU. I had chosen the 750W value to be on the safe side, but if 650W is good enough then it will save me some $$$.
Yeah, 600W will cover any single graphics card setup (and some SLi and XFire configurations). I have a GTX295, which has 2 GPUs on the one card. It ran just fine with 600W until I got the Delta.

new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread