Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Storage

Old 01-04-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
SteamyTiger

Join Date Dec 2012
Norway
SteamyTiger is on a distinguished road

Question Should I use WD Red in Desktop

I was planning on getting the WD Green drive (Either 2TB or 3TB, not sure) for main storage.

But them there red drives - are they a better option? There's really not much difference in price and I've heard so much good about the red drives;

They're supposed to be running cooler, operate more quietly and be way more reliable. Also they come with a 3yr warranty compared to the 2yr on the green drive and I've read that red drives uses DDR2 memory, compared to DDR1 which the other drives uses...

The main question I got is, are there any drawbacks to choosing the red drive over the green? I haven't decided if I wanna set up a RAID config, but if I do, wouldn't the red drives be better, because of they're longer MTBF?

I heard that the red drives are much more compatible in NAS setups, but are they less compatible in a "regular PC"?
SteamyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteamyTiger View Post
I was planning on getting the WD Green drive (Either 2TB or 3TB, not sure) for main storage.
Usually these drives spin at a lower speed to save energy, providing lower performance:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...viar-Green/744

However, Seagate's latest Green Drive surprised us:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ve-Review/1297

So, if you really want a "green" model, pick Seagate's solution.

I haven't reviewed any of the "red" models from Western Digital, so I don't have an opinion on them yet.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread