Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Networking and Security

Old 01-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
ARK

Join Date Dec 2010
Canada
ARK is on a distinguished road

Default Can't Connect to Router with Wi-fi on Vista Laptop

Just got a new Cisco router from Rogers. Laptop is running vista 32-bit. It connects to the router and internet fine with an ethernet cable, but with a wi-fi connection vista can only connect to the local network, and is not able to connect to the internet (web pages don't load).When I run "Cisco Connect.exe" it starts the setup and gets stuck at 25%. Why does it get stuck I 25%?

All other devices and computers can connect to the router and internet just fine with both ethernet and wi-fi, the laptop is the only one that cannot connect to the internet with wi-fi.

Thanks.
ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-25-2013, 07:40 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Did you enter the router's control panel and enabled Wi-Fi with WPA2 security? Did you check the router's configuration? Did you upgrade the firmware to the latest version?
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
ARK

Join Date Dec 2010
Canada
ARK is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply. Yes I've done that. Other devices can connect wirelessly just fine, just not this laptop.

I just realized, I actually haven't tried resetting the router yet, I'll will try that, and I'll see if I can find the cisco software on the rogers website or cisco website and use that instead of the one I have from rogers on their usb stick.
ARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Really strange! Let us know what you discover!
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:42 PM   #5
Treehugger

Join Date Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Treehugger is on a distinguished road

Has the router blocked your IP in any way?
Is your laptop trying to use the same IP address as another device?
When both your laptop and the other devices are connected wirelessly, can you see them on the network? (E.g. Windows Start menu → Run → type "cmd", press Enter → type "ping <other device's IP address>".
Treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:05 PM   #6
Topper99

Join Date Feb 2013
Topper99 is on a distinguished road

Default Having same problem

I'm having exactly the same issue, my vista laptop can connect to the rogers modem but cant get internet with any kind of security settings in place. Phone and playstation can connect with no issues. Any ideas?, have been through Rogers tech help but they think its the network card, although the laptop doesnt have any issues connecting to other wireless networks outside my home. Have rebooted the router with no improvements.
Topper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread