Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Video

Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 AM   #1
SteamyTiger

Join Date Dec 2012
Norway
SteamyTiger is on a distinguished road

Exclamation Can't use full resolution (black borders)

Hi,
I got this laptop which I want to hook up to my 24" 1080p LED monitor which is a BenQ GL2450HM

The monitor supports 1x of the following
VGA
DVI
HDMI

On my laptop I got a VGA and a HDMI port. When I first got the monitor, about two months ago I borrowed an HDMI cable from my dad to see if it worked properly. It did not. I got about an inch of black screen, as a border, along the outside of my monitor.

As if that was not enough, the display seem to be running at 1600x900 which is the same as the resolution on my laptop.

The laptop is 17,3" and when the same resolution as what is on that, is displayed over about 22" it makes everything seem blurry and simply wrong.

When I go here
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Display\Screen Resolution

and highlight the second monitor the resolution sure is 1920x1080p so I'm unsure what options are left for me to try out.

This is a picture of those settings:

Something I noticed, when taking that screenshot, is that on the Display: tab, it says BenQ GL2450H and not BenQ GL2450HM ...this leads me to believe that the driver installed, is for the wrong monitor, maybe?

I'm out of ideas, out of tolerance for analog video transmission to a modern monitor and I would really, really appreciate any suggestions on what to do.
SteamyTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 01-29-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Let me see if I understood the problem. You get the image, but there is a black border, is that right? If this is the "problem", you need to adjust the resolution to match the monitor's native resolution. For example, if your monitor is 1080p (1920x1080) and you configure it with 1600x900, there will be a black border since the image is SMALLER than the monitor's screen.

I hope I have helped.

Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
SteamyTiger

Join Date Dec 2012
Norway

The problem is that when I choose the resolution that matches the monitor's native resolution, there still is a black border.

I just now tried changing it from 1920x1080 to 1600x900 and now I get the same resolution, except without the black border.
So, now I am running at full-screen, but with a lower resolution that the monitor's native res.

So, sadly, no you didn't help
Old 01-29-2013, 02:49 PM   #4
Treehugger

Join Date Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Treehugger is on a distinguished road

When you match the monitor's resolution (i.e. 1920x1080), and when you have that black border, is the screen fuzzy/blurry or is it crisp and clear?

Can your mouse pointer move into the black border?
Treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
SteamyTiger

Join Date Dec 2012
Norway

When I match the monitor's native resolution, which is 1080p, everything is a little stretched and blurry. The PC the monitor is connected to has a resolution of 1600x900 and it seems like that is what is running on the 24" monitor, even if I manually set it to 1920x1080.

It's kind of hard to explain why I think that is the res, but it just looks like it. I believe it's taking the resolution that are on the laptop (17,3") and stretching it out over a ~22" display (because 1" is black border around the entire screen)

I'm currently not at home, but I'm 99% sure I was not able to move the mouse pointer into the black border.
It goes all around, thus also beneath the start menu and the task-bar.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:42 AM   #6
Treehugger

Join Date Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Treehugger is on a distinguished road

Are you running nVidia graphics on Windows 7?

1. If so, manually enter your nVidia control panel and double check the resolution is 1920x1080, then Test.
2. If that doesn't work, please also try 1920x1200 (I have a hunch about that monitor). You may have to manually force the height to 1920 and the width to 1200.
Treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:04 AM   #7
SteamyTiger

Join Date Dec 2012
Norway

I'm running ATI something something 4500 series, on Windows 7.
I can't choose 1920x1200, because 1920x1080 is the max res. available
Old 01-30-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Have you installed the latest video drivers?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:08 AM   #9
SteamyTiger

Join Date Dec 2012
Norway

According to Device Manager, my video drivers are up to date, indeed.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Really strange... If you configure the monitor to its maximum (native) resolution, the image should be filling the whole screen. However, I've seen in some video drivers some configurations to adjust the size of the screen, i.e. allowing you to expand the screen generated by the PC to the whole screen. I'd look into all options provided by the video driver to see if there is something that might fix the problem.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread