Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Storage

Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
SirValiantIII

Join Date Feb 2013
SirValiantIII is on a distinguished road

Default Upgrade from Platter to SSD

Hi all,
I have done some searching and could not find a topic similar to mine that had been successfully resolved. If such a topic exists I apologize for not reading it first and would appreciate someone linking me to it.

My Question:
I am running Windows 7 Home Premium with a 2TB Seagate Hard Drive and 16GB of RAM. I can post other relevant specs if needed.

I have a set of 4x8GB Vengance RAM sticks I would like to upgrade to, as well as a 120GB Samsung SSD.
To fully utilize my new RAM, I know I need to upgrade to at least Windows Professional, so I have a license of that purchased as well.
I also have a 3TB Seagate External Hard Drive I use for backups.

I would like to keep my current set up of programs, media, settings, etc, and simply upgrade to having my OS boot from the SSD for speed and then utilize 48GB of ram (I have 6 slots and 6x8GB sticks).

Can someone please direct me as to the best way to perform this upgrade, or a suitable alternative if this is unable to be performed?
Thanks so much,
SV3
SirValiantIII is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-04-2013, 07:15 AM   #2
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirValiantIII View Post
Hi all,
I have done some searching and could not find a topic similar to mine that had been successfully resolved. If such a topic exists I apologize for not reading it first and would appreciate someone linking me to it.

I would like to keep my current set up of programs, media, settings, etc, and simply upgrade to having my OS boot from the SSD for speed and then utilize 48GB of ram (I have 6 slots and 6x8GB sticks).

Can someone please direct me as to the best way to perform this upgrade, or a suitable alternative if this is unable to be performed?

The problem is upgrading does not give you the option of where to place the operating system. You need to do a clean install.

Quote:
Other Windows Considerations for SSD
... But if you upgrade an existing system to these operating systems, you should definitely consider a clean re-install of the operating system rather than cloning a conventional hard disk to your SSD as your migration path from the old spinning drive to its solid-state counterpart. That's because Windows 7 and 8 make certain assumptions about how to configure themselves to behave when installed on spinning drives, and don't necessary re-configure themselves to behave differently when moved to a solid-state drive. On the other hand, you can acquire a very nice tool from German disk partition and cloning company Paragon Software Group called Paragon Migrate OS to SSD for $20 (cheaper if you search for widely available discount coupons online).
http://www.quepublishing.com/article...aspx?p=1941420

http://apcmag.com/how-to-transfer-yo...-ssd-drive.htm
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

You will have to perform a clean install and re-install all programs. Just make sure you use a 64-bit OS, otherwise it won't see more than 4 GiB.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #4
SirValiantIII

Join Date Feb 2013
SirValiantIII is on a distinguished road

So I guess I'll just backup all of my personal data (Music, Videos, Pictures, Etc.) and then copy it back over when I'm done.
Thanks for the help!
SirValiantIII is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread