Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 02-17-2013, 02:24 PM   #1
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default New Build and What to Do First

Hello everyone. I have been a site member for several months. Previously I had questions and made posts about what to do about my Dell Inspiron 537s. Even with certain upgrades, including a good GPU, it would not game well.

So I have been, over time, acquiring components to build a gaming system. I am almost ready to put it all together. I only need the PSU, an 850W OCZ, which will be arriving in the mail in a few days.

I am confident that I have complete compatibility with all my components. Here is what I have should it matter in my question:

*Cooler Master HAF 912 case
*Gigabyte 78LMT-SP2 motherboard
*AMD FX 6100 3.9Ghz(Turbo) Zambezi 6 Core CPU
*Corsair XMS3 8GB (2X4GB) RAM
*Toshiba HDKPC05 500GB 7200 rpm hard drive (new & blank)
*OCZ GameXtreme 850W Power Supply
*Radeon HD 7750 1GB GPU
*LG BH14NS40 Blu-Ray Multi Drive (with LG Super Multi Blue CD)
*Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit Genuine Edition SP1 with never before
registered product key

Here is my dilemma, or more accurately for myself, a paradox:
Assuming all of these components are assembled and working correctly, how do I actually install Windows using the optical drive? When the machine is powered on, all that will exist is the BIOS from the motherboard.

Usually Windows would automatically find drivers for the Blu-Ray drive, thus enabling it for use to install software. But if there is no Windows, how will the machine be able to install Windows? To me, this seems like a "Chicken or the Egg" debate.

I am hoping someone will be able to provide some clarity to this question and possibly a link to a site with a step by step for setting up a new system with a blank hard drive. Thank You for any replies.

Last edited by albertP; 02-17-2013 at 02:29 PM.
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Just turn the PC on and put the windows disc in the optical drive and you're away. The BIOS detects the DVD drive to start with.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertP View Post
Hello everyone. I have been a site member for several months.
You followed this site for a few months and are purchasing this PSU???

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-gam...er-supply.html

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...r-Supply/397/8

If you want an OCZ psu get a ZT series with 550W to 650W. Its a newer design with much better components and an AMD 7750 doesn't require this much power but it will handle just about any graphic card.

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...Review/1418/11

Quote:
I am hoping someone will be able to provide some clarity to this question and possibly a link to a site with a step by step for setting up a new system with a blank hard drive. Thank You for any replies.
This is an excellent tutorial for installing windows 7.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/operat...all-part-1.htm

Last edited by Merman; 02-18-2013 at 04:34 AM.
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 PM   #4
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Default RE: New Build & Question About Overkill in Gaming

Thank you all who have replied and given me direction to what I need to do. I may not have learned exactly the best PSU and other components to assemble in the months I have followed, but I have learned that I get quality advice here. So, thanks again.

I know my choice in CPU is inferior to an Intel product such as an i5 2500K. But I am a bit compromised financially and thus went the AMD route.

Anyway, I just have one question I cannot find a concrete answer to: what actual games are people playing that require two $300 GPUs, SLI or CrossFire and 8 core Intel i7s running at 4.5Ghz, etc.?

I just want to play World of Warcraft on high settings without choppiness, low frame rates and/or freeze/crash issues during intense graphics scenarios. And nothing overheating. I just want a reliable, consistent game play experience for WoW -- MoP current patches, etc.

The Blizzard forums are helpful, but any questions regarding the performance of an AMD CPU inevitably yields condescending replies referring to Intel's superiority.

I am simply going to use my AMD motherboard/CPU combo and see for myself how it handles WoW on high settings. But I still would like to know what games require all that horsepower, or is a $3000 gaming system overkill for what games are currently on the market?

Well, I thank you all and best wishes.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:57 AM   #5
Merman

Join Date May 2008

Quote:
Anyway, I just have one question I cannot find a concrete answer to: what actual games are people playing that require two $300 GPUs, SLI or CrossFire and 8 core Intel i7s running at 4.5Ghz, etc.?
None that I know of. If Game developers want to make money they are best served to develop games that can be played on equipment most can afford.

Here are the requirements for the new forth coming Crysis 3 that has a reputation for requiring a powerful computer.

Hi-Performance
Windows Vista, 7, or 8
Latest DirectX 11 GPU
Latest quad core
8GB
Intel i7-2600K or AMD FX4150
NVIDIA GTX 680 or AMD HD 7970

http://www.pcper.com/news/General-Te...-PC-Run-Crysis

This article at Geforce should peak your interest.

http://www.geforce.com/optimize/guid...or-under-600#1

BTW if you want, the least expensive Seasonic built psu is usually XFX. A Geforce 550Ti only requires 450W.

An equivalent AMD card will probably run just as well. I am just more familiar with Nvidia.

The Cooler Master psu is not recommended:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...-Review/728/10

Last edited by Merman; 02-19-2013 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Cooler Master comment
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 PM   #6
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Default Opted Out on OCZ

Hi Mermon,

I just wanted to mention that I did not go with the OCZ PSU in my post above. It did not arrive on the day expected and I found out I was being kept on hold until the retailer restocked it. So I used this snafu to look into getting a different unit.

I wanted a decent amount of wattage. Not that I need it for my current build, but I dont know the entirety of what I may want to add in the future. For this reason, there are two things I wanted to never have to (not replace, but) upgrade: the case and the PSU.

Anyway, after taking advice from your links about PSUs and info on this site, I went with a Corsair HX750M. It's Modular, 80+ Gold, has Japanese transistors and all the equipment safeguards.

I hope I did better with my opportunity to change units -- I already got this one. And since it came from Newegg, there is no buyer remorse returns.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Merman

Join Date May 2008

You did just fine. Much better choice than the unit you originally picked.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...upply_review/3

Last edited by Merman; 02-24-2013 at 06:08 PM. Reason: wrong url
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread