Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Storage

Old 02-22-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default Victim of False Info at LG

Hi. I am very disenchanted with LG. I bought an LG Blu-Ray Super-Multi Drive less than 30 days ago. It is model BH14NS40. Earlier today I found that it does not support Lightscribe Disc Labeling. On their site, it clearly says it does.

If you go there and type in this model number, it will go to a page in which you can click on an icon of the burner and the associated name and link. Once there, there are three tabs. On the left is an overview tab, the middle a specifications tab and the right a manuals and downloads tab.

In the specifications there is a small graph window indicating that Lightscribe is not supported. But when I was choosing this model, I went to the manuals tab and loaded the PDF. Clearly and blatantly, right after the listed write/read speeds it proclaims SPECIAL FEATURES -- Lightscribe. This manual is not advertised as representing several models -- only the BH14NS40.

Anyway, I called LG about this and went to great lengths to prove to their representative that their site and manual does, in fact, state this. He found it humbling to admit I was correct but also admitted, quietly, that LG would still do nothing for me concerning this misrepresentation that resulted in an unintended purchase.

So, since LG sees no problem in perpetrating a fraud, I may be stuck with this model. I suppose I could buy something else that has Lightscribe. I would like to know if I have a cheaper DVD unit with Lightscribe, can I put Blu-Rays I made in the LG unit into the Lightscribe unit to make a label? Or does the label have to be made in the drive that burned the media?

Thanks for any replies.
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Treehugger

Join Date Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Treehugger is on a distinguished road

While I can't find the graph or the manual you're referring to, you should receive support for false advertising. This is treated seriously in Australia, however I don't know which country you are in.

After first attempting to resolve the issue with the manufacturer, I would suggest trying to get a refund or exchange the product with the retailer. If you purchased it directly from LG.com, try going back to them and escalating your complaint. If they still fail to assist you, contact your Ombudsman.

It might be a long and annoying process, but you should get a refund.
Treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:33 PM   #3
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Hi. Thanks for the reply. It is not immediately apparent where it says it has LIghtsscribe. It is in the table of contents of the downloadable manual pertaining to this exact model. That is what I was looking over before purchase.

I bought it from Newegg and found out they will accept a return. But I will have to pay return shipping and a $13.50 restocking fee. It's almost not worth it.

So, as I was wondering: can I put a Blu-Ray I burned in a BD-RE that does not support Lightscribe into another optical drive, such as a DVD burner, with Lightscribe and make the labels? Or does the drive that makes the labels have to be the one that burned the media?

Anxious to know. Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
Treehugger

Join Date Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Treehugger is on a distinguished road

That, I don't know the answer to.
Treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Have you contacted LG about this? What did they reply?
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #6
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Hi. Yeah, I spoke with a representative from LG. I was able to link him the page with the PDF manual, which is specific to that model and not multiple models. Until then he insisted that I was wrong, maybe because one must see the MANUAL and not the specs chart. Anyway, he was very humbled upon realizing I was correct, but said LG would still do nothing. I asked for a supervisor. After a very long wait, he came back on the line and said all supervisors were busy and to call back some other time. It had been quite exasperating and I felt as though I would never get anywhere.

As I mentioned above, Newegg offer to allow me to return it and refund my money. However, I would have to pay shipping and a $13.50 restocking fee. I would lose at least $20.00 trying to get a refund on an item that cost $85.00.

I have seen basic DVD drives with Lightscribe at a lower cost than Blu-Ray burners. I wonder if I can put a Blu-Ray I burned in the Multi Blue into a DVD player with Lightscribe to make a label on it.

Thanks.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
chuck1718

Join Date Jul 2013
chuck1718 is on a distinguished road

Man that sucks if your from the states id threatin them with a report to the bbb that lights fire under peoples arses. Down right wrong to false adverstise if it was an accidenet they should still be held liable. Only thing is now they know this and they still wont change the manual i bet ya money
chuck1718 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread