Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Motherboards and Chipsets

Old 02-22-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
Romanticapped

Join Date Feb 2013
Romanticapped is on a distinguished road

Question Bios Upgrade for Soyo P4S Dragon Ultra

Hello; I am am having difficulty with an Intel Pentium 4 upgrade. I am fairly certain it is a Bios update issue. The problem is that the whole computer is old (like me) but it is all I have and cannot afford a new one. The current processor is an Intel 4 Pentium 2aghz 512/400 1.5v the new one I purchased is an Intel Pentium 4 3.2ghz 1M/800 both are for the 478 socket. I plug the new CPU in and the system powers but does not boot Bios and I am BIOS illiterate.

to make things worse the board (though great) is a sis-645 P4S Dragon Ultra from SOYO which no longer exists and all links for the bios update software seem to be invalid. I found two Bios update .bin files after two days, but no program to install them. I have to work from freeware cause I am unfortunately poor and cannot afford fancy fixes. The computer is my all-in-one entertainment and communication system so I must keep it running, but the old CPU is worn and has a broken pin. I read and printed the 'How to perform a BIOS upgrade' info from this site, but the SOYO links are invalid.

So there are two issues: 1) How to get a windows based Bios Programmer for this board. 2) How to select and locate the proper update. I have located two files: p4sx2ba5 and p4sx2ba4 which are supposed to be SOYO bios updates but which is newer (I assume a5) but does anyone know? and will they work for this?

Sorry this is so long, but thanks for any help you can provide.
I really don't want to mess this up.

Any ideas how I can get this system to recognize the new CPU? Here are the system specifics:

Phoenix-Award
BIOS Date: April 10th, 2002
BIOS ID: 04/10/2002-SiS-645-6A6IXS2AC-00
BIOS OEM: P4SX-2BA3 - 6.00 PG
Chipset: SiS 645 rev 2
SuperIO: ITE 8705/SiS 950 rev 2 at port 002E
Manufacturer: Unknown
Motherboard: SiS-645

BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 4/10/2002

I do not have an embedded BIOS programmer that I can find. only the <press (Delete) to enter set-up option. I do not see a Flash application in the menus.
Romanticapped is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2013, 07:54 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi,

You can use any Windows-based BIOS upgrade utility from Award, it should work. Old motherboards like this one don't have a built-in flash programmer. The problem is getting the latest BIOS file for your motherboard. I found it at http://biosagentplus.com/bios/6A6IXS21 but I don't know if this version is newer than yours. Good luck!

Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Romanticapped

Join Date Feb 2013

Default Thanks

I know this is late, but thank you. I checked the bios link and it appears to be the same or older release wise, mine is 4/10/02 so will have to live with what I have. Shame it is such a good board. Would like to find a newer bios to work with it.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #4
ODwilly

Join Date Apr 2014
ODwilly is on a distinguished road

Hello, I know this is an old thread, but I have the same board. The FSB (front side bus) is limited to 533, so the 800 chip you are trying to upgrade to will not work. Look on ebay for a 2.8ghz 512/533 chip instead for $5 or so, that is the fastest processor that will work with this motherboard. Hope this isn't to late to help somewhat!
ODwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
Romanticapped

Join Date Feb 2013

Default Thanks for the CPU info

Thanks for the help, I did find the Specs for the Mother board after a little more searching, but it claimed 2ghz is the best this board will do. I am not so sure of that. especially since I have had it overclocked to 2.5. I have since moved on and will replace the board altogether with an Asus Z77 when money permits, this is sadly due to the murder of XP pro by Microsoft and the need for a quad core for video.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:00 PM   #6
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Yeah. I think that the lack of support for that CPU is more of a limitation with that Chipset than the BIOS. The only SiS chipsets from that era that had any 800MHz FSB support were the 661 series. No BIOS update will allow that CPU to work on the 645 chipset.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
Romanticapped

Join Date Feb 2013

Default Ps4 CPU Update

Well, for giggles I completely removed the PS4 Dragon Ultra board and replaced most of the capacitors on the board. Cleaned the whole thing and did a little testing. This board is still amazing for it's age.

The final rulings are in:

This board can handle 2.8/512/400 or 2.8/512/533mhz P4 chips,
With 3 Gigs of Ram it still keeps up with today's newer systems. I have Tested both XP pro, and Win 7 Ultimate and it runs like a champ. I have done this mostly as a project as I got two new computers in the mean time. You can also use PCI-e cards on it (though at a slower transfer rate) with a PCI to PCI-e adapter. You hardly noticed any performance drop either unless you are heavy gaming. (I play Skyrim with no problem on a 512MB AGP pro video card.)

So for its age, it is still quite usable and handles some things newer systems don't anymore. It upgrades nicely and runs a multi-card reader, 12 2.0 usb ports and 4HDD (both Eide and Sata II), 2 DVD-CD r/w drives and more.
Very happy with it still after all these years.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread