Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 02-23-2013, 05:11 AM   #1
VolatileThoughtz

Join Date Feb 2013
VolatileThoughtz is on a distinguished road

Default New Build - Something I've wanted to do for years already

I've browsed around a few threads, I must say firstly, many of you have very excellent advise.

So, here's the deal.

My budget is about $1500, but flexible, although I don't want to go above or much above $2000 (USD) Basically I'm putting cash away every week, in a month I'm going to gather all my components.

Primarily, I'm going to be gaming. Max settings are desired, but not out of the question for my price range, I'd imagine. The last time I was extremely well-read on all the latest hardware, however, was back when the Core 2 Duo's first came out. Obviously, a new ball game these days.
But! Somewhere down the line, I'd like to record and edit music. If someone could tell me if the following system seems reasonable for these things, I'd be very appreciative.

MOTHERBOARD:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 (was thinking future SSD boot drive with the mSATA port) $185
OR
ASUS Maximus V FORMULA $270

PROCESSOR:
Intel Core i5-3570K - $230

GRAPHICS:
HIS Radeon HD 7970 $385
(Was originally thinking the 7870 for $240 but was concerned with current and future limitations)

RAM
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB DDR3 1600 (2 x 4GB) - $50 ( Should I get more than 8gb? Change to 1866? )

Hard Drive
Seagate SV35 Series 1TB - $110

POWER SUPPLY:
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W - $140 (I may consider Crossfire'd 7950's in the future, would this wattage be enough?)

CHASSIS:
COOLER MASTER CM Storm Series Trooper - $150

MONITOR:
LG IPS224T-PN Black 22" 14ms - $180

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Windows 8 - $100

DVD Burner:
ASUS 24X DVD Burner - $20

KEYBOARD:
Tt eSPORTS KNUCKER Plunger - $40

MOUSE:
Logitech G9x Black - $55

HEADPHONES
steelseries Siberia V2 - $100

Low:$1600
High:$1830

Compatability/bottleneck issues? I'll consider shipping as a separate cost later. What do you guys think so far?
VolatileThoughtz is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Treehugger

Join Date Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Treehugger is on a distinguished road

Would you consider a sound card or, otherwise, some digital input for when you record music?
When you upgrade to an SSD boot drive, you could just use one of the available Sata 3 ports.
Treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolatileThoughtz View Post
Primarily, I'm going to be gaming. Max settings are desired, but not out of the question for my price range, I'd imagine.
But! Somewhere down the line, I'd like to record and edit music. If someone could tell me if the following system seems reasonable for these things, I'd be very appreciative.

MOTHERBOARD:
GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UP4 (was thinking future SSD boot drive with the mSATA port) $185
OR
ASUS Maximus V FORMULA $270
You obviously didn't do your homework comparing these two boards. Maybe you should be looking at the UP5.??? Also look at the reviews with an eye to the UEFI (BIOS) software. Also take a look at the ROG forum.

You should also be looking into an SSD as your primary drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VolatileThoughtz View Post
POWER SUPPLY:
CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W - $140 (I may consider Crossfire'd 7950's in the future, would this wattage be enough?)
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread