Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 02-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #1
thegamertooth

Join Date Feb 2013
thegamertooth is on a distinguished road

Post Obsolete Gaming PC Overhaul

Trying a more direct approach to this.. I was wondering if any of my current components are worth keeping to use on a budget next gen gaming PC. Trying to run BF3, Arma II and Crysis 3 on Ultra.

Here is my build:

CPU:
Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz

Motherbord:
Gigabyte S-Series Ultra Durable 2 X48-DS4

Memory:
G. Skill F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK 2x2048MB (DDR2-1066 PC2-8500)

Video Card:
ATI Radeon HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 (PCI-E DUAL DVI-I/TVO)

Storage:
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB (ST31500341As ATA)

Power Supply:
OCZGXS (OCZ GameXStream) 700 Watt

Optical Drive:
BenQ DVD DD DW1640 (ATA)

Case:
Lian Li PC-6077

Windows 7

I am pretty sure I can reuse my PSU, HDD, optical drive and case. Also, not sure about my CPU or RAM. Thought maybe I could just throw in a couple more gigs, but the more I look around it seems like maybe I should do some DDR3 instead, which means I probably have to scrap my motherboard. As you can see, I really need some second opinions. Once I have an idea of what I must replace, then it is just a matter of some old fashioned net surfing research. The question basically boils down to: what can I reuse?

Cheers!
thegamertooth

Last edited by thegamertooth; 02-25-2013 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Cut out life story.
thegamertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

It will all depend on your budget. If you don't have a lot of money, the best upgrade you can do is to replace the video card. With more money, you can do an overhaul.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:46 AM   #3
RenatsMC

Join Date Feb 2013
RenatsMC is on a distinguished road

Hey thegamertooth i had similar Post here about PC components to upgrade. http://forums.hardwaresecrets.com/building-pc-400/9287
RenatsMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
brispuss

Join Date Dec 2012
brispuss is on a distinguished road

Exclamation

What components can be reused and what needs to be replaced depends on the budget.

However, suggest the following components be (re)used:

Motherboard: Gigabyte S-Series Ultra Durable 2 X48-DS4 <- Reuse (for now)

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz <- Reuse (for now)

Case: Lian Li PC-6077 <- Reuse

Optical Drive: BenQ DVD DD DW1640 (ATA) <- Reuse

Operating System: Windows 7 (64 bit?) <- Reuse

PSU: Replace the OCZ Game Xstream 700W! This PSU uses some lower grade components and it's performance is not the best. As it has been used for four years or so already, it has aged/degraded. There is the real risk of damaging components if this PSU is continued to be used.

Recommended replacement PSU (with known componentry and performance) for this system which requires ~ 400W, and allowing for upgrades and safety margin -

PC Power + Cooling Silencer MK III 500W

HDD: Replace the hard disk drive also. It has also been used for around four years and has aged/degraded. Increased risk of corrupting/losing data if this HDD is continued to be used.

RAM: Assuming 64 bit OS, upgrade to 8GB in 2 x 4GB (dual channel) configuration to maximize memory bandwidth.

Video Card: Replace video card with something like an HD 6870 or better.
brispuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

What I would do on a budget is:

- Replace the PSU (with the one brispuss suggested, or a Seasonic G-series or S12II or M12II series 520W)

- Upgrade the Graphics Card to something like a GTX560 or HD6870 or 7870

- Keep your current HDD just for data and get an SSD as the boot drive.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:52 PM   #6
thegamertooth

Join Date Feb 2013

Thanks to the four of you who have posted so far! It's exciting to have my first replies ever on hardwaresecrets. You have all left EXACTLY the type of info I'm looking for. First of all, my apologies for not giving you all the information I could. (I actually tailored my OP down by a couple paragraphs so people would take the time to read it.)

$400-$500 budget (for now)

Renants, I appreciate the link to your thread, I actually saw it before I started this one. I am going about my build a bit differently though. Rather than spending $400 total on my rig, I would like to spend that amount on the essential components that will make the most difference and give me the most bang for my buck. I expect to spend about $1000 for the complete build over the next year, so many of the components that I am interested in are a bit more high end than if I were only spending $400 total.

So I'm kinda making a freakish piecemeal FrankinRig with my old parts that I can reuse until I can replace them.

Brispuss and c.hegge, thanks for including such detailed suggestions. I also appreciate you explaining your reasons for your choices. Looking forward to getting this build on the road. Time for a bit of that research..

Last edited by thegamertooth; 02-26-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
Treehugger

Join Date Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Treehugger is on a distinguished road

Heh, FrankenRig. I'll remember that one.

Don't forget that Crysis games are renowned for pushing the boundaries, so running Crysis 3 on ultra settings is probably beyond this budget. This link provides minimum, medium, and high requirements for the game, and the high option is not cheap.

The nVidia GTX680 or AMD HD7970 alone is probably out of the budget!
Treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamertooth View Post
Thanks to the four of you who have posted so far! It's exciting to have my first replies ever on hardwaresecrets. You have all left EXACTLY the type of info I'm looking for. First of all, my apologies for not giving you all the information I could. (I actually tailored my OP down by a couple paragraphs so people would take the time to read it.)

$400-$500 budget (for now)
The suggestions made above will make your computer a lot faster while still inside your budget. Good luck and have fun!
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:45 PM   #9
thegamertooth

Join Date Feb 2013

Thanks everyone, I think I'm going to go with a Radeon HD 7870 LE. There is a great article here highlighting it on Tom's Hardware. Seems like a solid card that will last me a few years as well as leave me some wiggle room for a power supply and some extra ram.. Now just gotta track down a PSU worth shelling out for.

On the topic of RAM, Bripuss suggested getting
Quote:
8GB in 2 x 4GB (dual channel)
which seems like a good idea. I would venture to guess that newer games being released rely more heavily on the GPU (thus more onboard memory for video cards), is that correct??

Thanks again for helping me blueprint this build. It is always great to hear from few fellow FrankenRig builders. :P
Old 02-28-2013, 12:47 AM   #10
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegamertooth View Post
I would venture to guess that newer games being released rely more heavily on the GPU (thus more onboard memory for video cards), is that correct??
Yes. You'll find the odd game that relies more heavily on the CPU (MS Flight Sim is the only one I can think of off the top of my head), but in general, when you're gaming on a budget, you're better off going with a lower end CPU and a better GPU.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread