Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Miscellaneous > Content Comments

Old 02-26-2013, 06:48 AM   #1
Hardware Secrets Team
Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default Which is The Best Configuration for 120 mm Liquid Cooling Fans?

There has been a new article posted.

Title: Which is The Best Configuration for 120 mm Liquid Cooling Fans?
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ling-Fans/1738

Here is a snippet:
"We*tested 12 different*configurations for installing fans*on radiators of liquid cooling systems. Which one is the best? Let's see.Some time ago, most liquid coolers (a.k.a. watercoolers) were kits th..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 02-26-2013, 08:00 AM   #2
Ckmi1

Join Date Feb 2012
Ckmi1 is on a distinguished road

I found the facts on the article interesting, the only question is did you plug the pump directly into the power supply or use the power from your motherboard. It has been my experience that the motherboards either have a glitch in the power management of fan control or limits the current to the pump. When the pump is connected directory to the power supply, I’ve found cools the CPU better.
Thanks
Ckmi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 08:01 AM   #3
actionjksn

Join Date Dec 2009
actionjksn is on a distinguished road

Default Intake VS Exhaust.

You are gaining some benefit by blowing air in when it is mounted on the back but not when it is mounted on the top. The benefit is just less noticeable with two fans because two fans gets it closer to its maximum cooling ability overall. But I think I know why the top configuration showed no difference on intake and exhaust. Heat rises, so when you mount it on the top you are gaining some cooling just from that fact. And because heat rises, it cancels the benefit of blowing the cool air in through the top. When they are mounted on the back there is clearly some extra cooling with them on intake but not when they're mounted on the top.

The way to test my theory would be to put taller feet or legs under the case, just elevate it a few inches. Then mount the cooler underneath the case with position 2. I think if you do that with it blowing in, then I think you would get the best cooling overall. Because you would have the benefit of cool air blowing in and from heat rising.

It would also be interesting to see one fan in the bottom in position 2 with the second fan mounted in the top with it blowing straight up. That would be a variation of the push pull with the benefit of heat rising. And if you had that with a duct tube going from the bottom fan and cooler to the top fan, I think that would provide amazing cooling. Except it looks like the video card would get in the way. Unless you could curve around it somehow.

Anyway it was a great experiment and I'm sure will give a lot of people some ideas when designing their cooling systems. The most obvious conclusion is brute force, aka two fans are way better than one fan in all configurations. It would probably allow lower fan speeds too.
actionjksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Rafael Coelho
Super Moderator

Join Date Jun 2008
Rafael Coelho is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ckmi1 View Post
I found the facts on the article interesting, the only question is did you plug the pump directly into the power supply or use the power from your motherboard. It has been my experience that the motherboards either have a glitch in the power management of fan control or limits the current to the pump. When the pump is connected directory to the power supply, I’ve found cools the CPU better.
Thanks
Hi!
The pump was connected to a motherboard header. As it was wired to the same connector on all tests, a possible problem on pump power does not affected the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjksn View Post
You are gaining some benefit by blowing air in when it is mounted on the back but not when it is mounted on the top. The benefit is just less noticeable with two fans because two fans gets it closer to its maximum cooling ability overall. But I think I know why the top configuration showed no difference on intake and exhaust. Heat rises, so when you mount it on the top you are gaining some cooling just from that fact. And because heat rises, it cancels the benefit of blowing the cool air in through the top. When they are mounted on the back there is clearly some extra cooling with them on intake but not when they're mounted on the top.

The way to test my theory would be to put taller feet or legs under the case, just elevate it a few inches. Then mount the cooler underneath the case with position 2. I think if you do that with it blowing in, then I think you would get the best cooling overall. Because you would have the benefit of cool air blowing in and from heat rising.

It would also be interesting to see one fan in the bottom in position 2 with the second fan mounted in the top with it blowing straight up. That would be a variation of the push pull with the benefit of heat rising. And if you had that with a duct tube going from the bottom fan and cooler to the top fan, I think that would provide amazing cooling. Except it looks like the video card would get in the way. Unless you could curve around it somehow.

Anyway it was a great experiment and I'm sure will give a lot of people some ideas when designing their cooling systems. The most obvious conclusion is brute force, aka two fans are way better than one fan in all configurations. It would probably allow lower fan speeds too.
This is a very good theory, and it is probably right.
Another thing I suppose, regarding to the rear intake mounting, is that it performs good because the used case has lots of mesh area at the top panel, and so the hot air can get out easily.
If you install a watercooler in this configuration (rear, intake) in a very closed chassis with no other openings at the upper side, it probably could form a hot air pocket that can degrade the cooling performance.

Share This Thread