Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 03-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #1
combatmed

Join Date Mar 2013
combatmed is on a distinguished road

Talking Help building my first PC

So this is my first time I am building my own PC and I am doing it for my dad. My question is just to see if the parts I have chosen will work together and have no issues after purchasing and building it. Thank in advance for the help and input.
Here are the parts I have chosen

Motherboard- ASUS P8Z77-M
RAM- G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400

Processor- Intel Core i3-2130 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz

and I will be running windows 7 home premium 64-bit, I choose 500gb hard drive, and a dvd burner and a 750 watt power supply.

Thank you for the help
combatmed is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Those parts will work, but I'd go with an Ivy Bridge CPU (Core i3 or i5 3___). Also, what Graphics card(s) are you going to use? 750W is way overkill for any single GPU setup. Something like a Seasonic G-550 will do just fine, unless you plan to use SLi or Crossfire with two high end Graphics carts. If you plan to use integrated graphics, then a G-360 will be fine.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:35 AM   #3
Treehugger

Join Date Jan 2013
Sydney, Australia
Treehugger is on a distinguished road

Is this your RAM? That's pretty fancy RAM to pair up with a non-overclockable Core i3 CPU. That page explicitly confirms compatibility with various P8Z77-V motherboards, but I don't know about P8Z77-M. I don't think there'd be an issue.

Good advice from c.hegge about an Ivy Bridge CPU. It is more heat efficient (due to smaller die).
Treehugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:12 AM   #4
combatmed

Join Date Mar 2013
combatmed is on a distinguished road

C.Hegge- Ok I will look into an Ivy Bridge Processor, as far as graphics card I was just using the on-board motherboard graphics and with processor handling it, My dad is not needing anything fancy for video or gaming just basic Office, pictures and surf the net. Should I still get one and if so what would you recommend? And I will downgrade the Power supply, I figured that was a little high for what I was building. Thank you so much.

Treehugger- Yea I noticed that also about the RAM not compatible with that model, I will just keep checking around to make sure it is or just find different RAM to make positive it will work. Thank you also.
combatmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Standard RAM speed is 1333/1600mhz. Get some value ram preferably with a limited lifetime warranty if possible.

Help with the power supply wattage:
http://www.extreme.outervision.com/p...ulatorlite.jsp

A good power supply is the foundation of a computer build it should provide clean steady power for all the components. Don't fall into the trap of going cheap. You may be surprised how little power is really required.

Think about a small SSD drive for startup and operating system purposes.

Most standard parts are compatible just check with the manufacturers most have this information readily available. This does not mean don't ask for help but you should try to understand for yourself to help you make decisions that are right for you.

If you need links to learn about these things speak up.
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #6
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

The integrated graphics will do fine for an office PC, and won't use very much power. I'd say use a Seasonic G-360 PSU. It's an excellent quality product, and it will be ample power for that PC.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread