Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Other > PC Doesn't Turn On

Old 03-09-2013, 03:34 PM   #1
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default Problem: Motherboard Disables PSU

Hi. I cannot find an answer to this specific problem anywhere on the Net or in related topics on this site. So, I wanted to post it and see if I can get some help.

I am putting together a PC out of parts harvested from other PCs to build my dad a computer. He only needs something sufficient to go online. The peripherals and PCI cards are old, but I have tested them in other PCs and they work fine. There is no compatibility issues since most components are from very similar machines.

Anyway, my problem seems to exist between the PSU and the motherboard. The motherboard is an Intel 4000725 with an Intel P4 (probably 2.2Ghz). The PSU is a HIPRO brand I got out of an HP. Both the motherboard and the PSU have a 20 pin connector.

I have used a power supply tester on the PSU and it powers on and reads all the appropriate voltages.

I had all the peripherals connected properly and am using a HD with XP Pro on it. The HD is the one that has always been used with the motherboard and worked fine.

With all connections properly in place, the PC will not power on. After some troubleshooting I noticed that the green LED light on the back of the PSU is on, but when I plug it into the 20 pin port on the board, the LED on the PSU goes out.

Basically, once the power is connected to the board, there is no power. This board worked fine before this build. Really, the only thing that has occurred is that I put all compatible components together into a different case, and now the board disables the power from the PSU.

I have been tinkering around with computers and electronics for a long time and have never experienced this enigma. Does anyone have an idea what it could be.

Thank you for any helpful replies.
AlbertP
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
brispuss

Join Date Dec 2012
brispuss is on a distinguished road

Question

The PSU may not have sufficient capacity (watts) to power the new configuration. The PSU may be shutting down to protect itself from excessive power draw due to it's protection circuit. The PSU may be faulty (also).

Try another PSU with higher wattage capacity.

If the system boots up and works, then the original PSU is either faulty or under-powered. If the system still doesn't work, then there may be a problem with the motherboard.

Last edited by brispuss; 03-09-2013 at 05:15 PM.
brispuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 06:35 PM   #3
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Unplug the 4 pin CPU connector. If it stays powered on, then the baord is toast.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Please follow this tutorial: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/547
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default Solved

Quote:
Originally Posted by brispuss View Post
The PSU may not have sufficient capacity (watts) to power the new configuration. The PSU may be shutting down to protect itself from excessive power draw due to it's protection circuit. The PSU may be faulty (also).

Try another PSU with higher wattage capacity.

If the system boots up and works, then the original PSU is either faulty or under-powered. If the system still doesn't work, then there may be a problem with the motherboard.
Yeah, that was the problem. My PSU tester lights up all the voltages. The fan turns on and spins normally. So I assumed the PSU was good.

I tried a different 250 W PSU and the CPU fan and hard drive powered up. It has been working fine with this one.

I thought the bad one was okay since the tester indicated it was. My analogy is that the bad PSU is like an old, worn out car. You can put the key in and turn it over, but when you try to drive, the engine is too weak to move the car.

Thanks for the advice. My troubleshooting was getting me no where.

albertP
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread