Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Storage

Old 03-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #1
Citizenriot

Join Date Mar 2013
South Orange County coast
Citizenriot is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Citizenriot Send a message via Yahoo to Citizenriot Send a message via Skype™ to Citizenriot
Default Harddrive failing, need help

My harddrive is failing. Keeps freezing on me. I was wondering if I could copy the entire drive over to a matching harddrive. Would this 2nd harddrive be an exact copy of the first "failing" harddrive, and if so, will it boot the same. My problem, is I don't have the Windows 7 installation CD, so I don't want to lose the copy I have on the original "soon to fail" harddrive. What, if any, is the procedure to make an exact "bootable" harddrive using only the drive I have now with the Windows 7 operating system that is currently on it.
Will I need to do a system format of the new HD, then copy over the operating system. Can this work? Any information in the area would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Citizenriot is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Yes, this can be done! You will need a "cloning" software, which is a kind of software that copies the entire contents of a hard drive to another hard drive, preserving everything.

Just google "cloning software", there are too many options to list here.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread