Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Other > Other Issues

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default Is PCIe Able to Facilitate USB 3.0 Transfer?

Hi. I cannot seem to find a direct answer to this question no matter how I keyword my searches on the Net.

My motherboard has all USB 2.0 rear outs and 9 pin expansions. It also has a PCIe X 1 slot.

I have seen for sale, 3.5" (or 5.25") front panel hubs with all-in-one card readers and USB 3.0 inputs. A lot of them have a PCIe interface.

So, what I cannot seem to confirm is if once that interface is plugged into the PCIe slot, does the PCIe on the motherboard enable USB 3.0 transfer rates? Even if the rest of the USB transfer rates on the motherboard are 2.0?

Thanks for any answers.
albertP
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

There are PCI Express x1 expansion cards with USB 3.0 ports. But whether or not you will be able to achieve USB 3.0 speeds will depend on the PCI Express version the slot/adapter is using. If you are talking about PCI Express 2.0, the available bandwidth will be 5 Gbps or 500 MB/s. USB 3.0 also has the same bandwith, 5 Gbps or 500 MB/s. So, in theory, they "match". But if this adapter card has two USB 3.0 ports, both ports will share the same bandwidth, so two simultaneous transfers would have only 250 MB/s each.

This, of course, assuming that your adapter really uses a PCI Express x1 slot. In most cases memory card readers will have two USB 3.0 ports that use a cable that must be installed to a USB 3.0 header on the motherboard, and if your motherboard doesn't have this header (which seems to be your case), you won't be able to use these ports as USB 3.0.

A picture of the product should elucidade this matter.

Best regards,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #3
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Default Card Adapter Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
There are PCI Express x1 expansion cards with USB 3.0 ports. But whether or not you will be able to achieve USB 3.0 speeds will depend on the PCI Express version the slot/adapter is using. If you are talking about PCI Express 2.0, the available bandwidth will be 5 Gbps or 500 MB/s. USB 3.0 also has the same bandwith, 5 Gbps or 500 MB/s. So, in theory, they "match". But if this adapter card has two USB 3.0 ports, both ports will share the same bandwidth, so two simultaneous transfers would have only 250 MB/s each.

This, of course, assuming that your adapter really uses a PCI Express x1 slot. In most cases memory card readers will have two USB 3.0 ports that use a cable that must be installed to a USB 3.0 header on the motherboard, and if your motherboard doesn't have this header (which seems to be your case), you won't be able to use these ports as USB 3.0.

A picture of the product should elucidade this matter.

Best regards,
Gabriel.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. The PCIe on my motherboard is 2.0. I have included an image of what card adapter would plug into it. According to your explanation, I should achieve 5Gbps speed while using one port at a time. Based on the image I have provided, please let me know if I am understanding this correctly. Thanks again. Best wishes,

AlbertP
Attached Images

Old 03-25-2013, 06:54 AM   #4
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Yes, from the picture we can see it is a PCI Express x1 connection. You should be able to achieve USB 3.0 speeds, as long as you don't have more than one simultaneous connection.

Cheers,
Gabriel.

Last edited by Gabriel Torres; 04-01-2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: typo
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
Yes, from the picture we can see it is a PCI Express x1 connection. You should be able to achieve USB 3.0 speeds, as long as you don't have more than one simultaneoius connection.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Great. Thank you for clearing that up.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread