Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #1
d3v

Join Date Oct 2010
d3v is on a distinguished road

Default Would a GTX 460 be bottled neck in this rig...

Hi all, I want to upgrade my GTS 450 as it's struggling to play Skyrim with all the high quality texture mods and want to upgrade to a GTX 460 1GB but unsure if it will be able to perform fully in my rig which is...

Asus P5Q SE Plus P45-chipset
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16ghz 6MB cache
4GB Corsair Dominator XMS-8500
Corsair 750W HX

Thanks.
d3v is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #2
RazberyBandit

Join Date Mar 2013
RazberyBandit is on a distinguished road

Your CPU would be the limiting factor in quite a few games, despite a GPU upgrade. But honestly, the jump from a GTS450 to a GTX460 isn't much at all. This is especially true for 460SE and 192-bit memory interface models.

I'd look into something far more modern, such as a 650Ti or the new 650Ti Boost. There are AMD alternatives, too, like the 7770 or the new HD7790. Moving to a 460 (even a 256-bit one) from a GTS450 seems just too lateral a move to justify the expense.

In the end, it might be worthwhile to just save the money for a new build when the next-gen CPUs and GPUs are released. Intel's Haswell CPUs are coming fairly soon, so we can probably expect the last of Sandy-Bridge CPUs and some Ivy Bridge CPUs to drop in price. Last I saw, Nvidia and AMD estimates/expectations are for new GPU releases in Q4 of this year.

Last edited by RazberyBandit; 03-29-2013 at 10:57 PM.
RazberyBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread