Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 03-31-2013, 07:39 PM   #1
jnassbeats

Join Date Mar 2013
jnassbeats is on a distinguished road

Default First time build - Audio production/gaming

Hi guys! Am new to this forum and to pc building. I have put together a potential build over the last week or so of what I came up with after some research. I would like to know if everything I have going will be compatible. Also, I don't want to run into any walls when building it (i.e. if i'll need thermal paste, tools, ect). Lastly, this machine will be specifically for audio production and casual gaming (Skyrim, D3, SC2, Pro tools, and Native instruments software to name a few). Would like it to be as quiet as possible. Any advice or comments are appreciated and be sure to tell me if anything is overkill. If you feel like it layout what you would pick for components in my situation. Thanks! Link to the build> http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jnassbeats/saved/1oHW

*note - I already have a external sound interface (komplete audio 6)
*edit - My budget is about $1200 for the components minus case and OS

Last edited by jnassbeats; 03-31-2013 at 07:46 PM.
jnassbeats is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

It looks alright, but I'd probably drop the CPU back to a Core i5 3570K. It's quite a bit cheaper and the difference in performance isn't that great.

Last edited by c.hegge; 03-31-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
altec.gs

Join Date Mar 2013
Minas Tirith .rs
altec.gs is on a distinguished road

AS c.hegge said, go back to i5 3570K. Also, i wouldn't go for the GTX670, rather i would buy GTX660(non Ti), as it's gaming performance is awesome, and it costs quite a bit less. Another point i would like to address is the PSU unit, it is very good, however, i wound probably go for the SS-650AM, as it has 4 PCI-E 6/6+2 pin cables, and more SATA cables. Build quality of that PSU is also awesome. And last thing i would change is the SSD, better go for the Intel 330/520 120GB, they are known for their reliability, or maybe even 180/240GB Intel 330.

Last edited by altec.gs; 04-01-2013 at 01:06 AM.
altec.gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:58 AM   #4
jnassbeats

Join Date Mar 2013

i7 or amd fx 8350 are my best bet there because I primarily want the PC as a DAW (digital audio workstation) and it beats i5 across the board for my needs. Unless anyone has experience working with the same programs I do and still says there isn't that much difference. I updated the build with your suggestions and a few different things. Chose that memory because one of them will be free with that motherboard. Link> http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jnassbeats/saved/1pwy ..Also, I'm on the line between the cpu cooler I have listed and this one> http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-MACHO# ..hoping it would all fit and be easily compatible. Thanks!

Edit*According to pcpartpicker I dont need that many watts on the 650 psu. I don't really want to SLI just because I want to keep it simple while highlighting that I want it primarily for audio pro (don't wanna overheat). I do love my skyrim though as I am anxious to play that coming from a ps3 lol

Last edited by jnassbeats; 04-01-2013 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by altec.gs View Post
Another point i would like to address is the PSU unit, it is very good, however, i wound probably go for the SS-650AM, as it has 4 PCI-E 6/6+2 pin cables, and more SATA cables. Build quality of that PSU is also awesome
Huh? I'd go with the G-550 any day in this build. It's more efficient, 650W is overkill, and the extra connectors probably won't be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnassbeats View Post
..Also, I'm on the line between the cpu cooler I have listed and this one> http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=FAN-MACHO# ..hoping it would all fit and be easily compatible. Thanks
Go with the Thermalright. It looks like a steal at that price. Just make sure you install it before putting the motherboard into the case as it will be easier.

Last edited by c.hegge; 04-01-2013 at 02:16 PM.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
jnassbeats

Join Date Mar 2013

That cpu cooler is huge but if I get it Ill be careful when installing. Do you still think the build is still sub par? I admit I have no idea what I'm looking for when it comes to most things like the motherboard for example. Sure I could throw whatever random parts together based on reviews and hope for the best, but I want to make sure it will perform to my standards as a DAW (which aren't too high, just want it to be somewhat future proof and run smoothly).

Last edited by jnassbeats; 04-01-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnassbeats View Post
Do you still think the build is still sub par? I admit I have no idea what I'm looking for when it comes to most things like the motherboard for example. Sure I could throw whatever random parts together based on reviews and hope for the best, but I want to make sure it will perform to my standards as a DAW (which aren't too high, just want it to be somewhat future proof and run smoothly).
Its performance should be decent. If it was my build, though, I'd probably change the board and RAM (like http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NQz2). Those parts are slightly cheaper, and I've have some bad experiences with both ASUS motherboards and Corsair RAM (Merman will probably give me a bashing for saying that again )

Also, I see you went with windows 8. Just make sure you're familiar with it you commit to using it, as it's a very radical change from windows 7. I won't touch it with a 10 meter long pole, but again, that's just my personal opinion.

Last edited by c.hegge; 04-01-2013 at 08:09 PM.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
jnassbeats

Join Date Mar 2013

Awesome great suggestions and info thank you! I might even just go with 8 gb of memory since I'm not even exceeding the 4gbs I have on my mac right now surprisingly. As for OS, been studying both and I would be able to navigate 7 better but some audio tests show 8 winning by a nitch (tested under intensive loads unlike anything I'll be doing but its always good to know).
Old 04-02-2013, 01:15 AM   #9
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia

^
I'd probably stick with 7. In the real world, those small theoretical performance differences are more than negated by an OS that's a pain to navigate.

Old 04-02-2013, 06:53 AM   #10
jnassbeats

Join Date Mar 2013

In the music world though theoretical performance is part of a curiousness that most producers/engineers out there can't help but have. In other words, you ask yourself if you want whats moving forward or not. Its a terrible habit for my wallets sake because I'm constantly wanting to upgrade things haha. Of course I look at things in a more practical way especially when doing something like building a PC. Whatever works . My build has changed a bit since the last time if you feel like commenting further on it at all> http://pcpartpicker.com/user/jnassbeats/saved/1pOx
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread