Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 04-05-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
WhiteWidow

Join Date Apr 2013
WhiteWidow is on a distinguished road

Default First Time Building my dream gaming computer

First off i would like to say thank you for looking at my thread. I'm not that smart when it comes to computers i know the basics but when you get to the core of things i don't know anything at all. But what i do want from my computer that i will be building from the bottom up is the PERFECT gaming computer (that i can afford) i want to run Skyrim on super high graphics and with mods added to it i want to play other games for the next ten years on those same graphics as well.

This is What i got so far i had some help making this list but i just want to make sure that it will work because i will be spending alot of money on this.

MotherBoard: MSI Big Bang-XPower II LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 XL ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor

Case: Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Case with SuperSpeed USB 3.0

Power: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Blue 16 GB DDR3 SDRAM Dual Channel Memory Kit
(might get 2)

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 3 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch

Graphices Card: GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 Windforce OC 2048MB GDDR5 256-bit PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Graphics Card

Software Windows 7 Ultimate

Now so far this build will cost me 2248.88 which isn't a problem for me at all but what i get stuck on is the cooling system weather i should go air cool or liquid cool im not sure. Im a really heavy gamer on my days off im on my computer from dusk till dawn and i need a computer to be able to run in the hottest weather all day 12+ I know that might be asking alot but i love gaming and i don't want to build something that will be out of date in one year i would prefer this computer to last at least ten years

Please help and thanks again
WhiteWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2013, 04:41 AM   #2
Yamoosh

Join Date Apr 2013
Yamoosh is on a distinguished road

It's puerly on personal preference although liquid cooling has its dangers unless you go for the more expensive one! But if you have no desire to overclock there is really no downfall in using the coling fan that comes with the CPU. I hope this helped
Yamoosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

For a system like this, I'd get a pre-mounted liquid cooling solution. Take a look at our latest reviews, in particular the models from Corsair:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/page/cooling
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
WhiteWidow

Join Date Apr 2013

im already spending alot of money on this computer because im a firm believer that you get what you pay for
Old 04-07-2013, 04:17 AM   #5
Jesferkicks

Join Date Apr 2013
Jesferkicks is on a distinguished road

I don't understand your SandyBridge 3930K pick. 1st, the ivy bridge processors have the hyperthreading which will be used by games of the future (maybe); 2nd, the ivybridge 3770K smokes everything it competes against according to Passmarks Performance Tester which you can download for a 30 trial at http://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm. I too am doing research on building a high end gamer machine and Passmarks has a lot going for it. At least its one of the better tools I've come across so far. Anyways, best of luck in your new killer machine.

Opps forgot. I also don't understand why you're not getting an SSD for your primary drive. The speed difference is outrageous. You can also check the diff between mechanical spin harddrives and SSDs with the Passmark tool. They're not even in the same ball park. I'm either going to get a pair of 240 gig SSDs and just a terabyte spin drive or one 240 gig SSD and a pair of 1 terabyte spin drives. Can't make my mind up. Last (for real this time) is your dual channel ram, 3 channel memory smokes 2 channel. Example is the Micron Technology PC3 - 12,800. Like I said, lots of good luck.
Jesferkicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 AM   #6
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteWidow View Post
i want to run Skyrim on super high graphics and with mods added to it i want to play other games for the next ten years on those same graphics as well.
If you are spending this amount to make the most of your investment you are fooling yourself or don't understand how quickly technology changes. Better to plan for the next three years or five years at most. Not only does the tech get better it also gets cheaper for what you get.

I agree get an SSD as a primary drive and water cooling.

Why are you choosing the 3930k and 16 to 32 gigs of memory. If you can't explain it then think about changing these choices.
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:25 PM   #7
WhiteWidow

Join Date Apr 2013

hey im new to this computer building stuff but when i looked at the CPU i7 the new ones cost 1,000 dollars and i just don't have that kind of money which is why im on this site so i can get some help. so i will take a look at the other CPU compare what they both do and and go from there but thanks for the help i don't now all about computers but i love playing and this is a learning experience for me. and the reason why i only have 16 GB of Memory is because thats what i was going to start off with the motherboard that i picked has room for 8 slots Im thinking of going as high has 64 GB of memory
Old 04-13-2013, 03:55 AM   #8
Merman

Join Date May 2008
Merman is on a distinguished road

You are on the right site to learn and I encourage you to read the articles to help you make decisions that are right for you. Some don't think this way and just prefer to be told what to buy.

BTW 16 gigs of memory is overkill. Most games recommend 4 and 8 is usually more then enough.

You also want to join the forums for the games you play.

Don't misunderstand, most of us have overkill systems and if you have the money spend it on the best hardware. Though buying parts for a work station power computer to play games because you have the money is a waste.
But rich gamers do.

Don't forget to pick pleasing looking parts if you pick a case with a window.

Better quality parts are a joy to use.
Merman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #9
WhiteWidow

Join Date Apr 2013

buts lets say that i do get that much memory people i have talked to said that it woun't hurt anything and i like to run alot of programs at the same time. but if i get to much memory will that make some games not work i would hope not but the thing is with me is that if i want to build a computer i want it to make it the best but i can't really spend 1,500 on a CPU the most i will pay for parts in 500 each that is as far as i can go with most products
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread