Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default How to Install and Configure a Dedicated PhysX Video Card

There has been a new article posted.

Title: How to Install and Configure a Dedicated PhysX Video Card
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...ideo-Card/1763

Here is a snippet:
"When you buy a new video card that is different from your current video card, usually you have two options: sell the old video card or leave it collecting dust inside a closet. If your old video card ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-17-2013, 07:59 AM   #2
rakhanreturns

Join Date Feb 2013
rakhanreturns is on a distinguished road

Just as a note, this only works with cards from the series GeForce 8 and up.
rakhanreturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 AM   #3
cathode

Join Date Feb 2012
Dallas, Tx
cathode is on a distinguished road

Yes Geforce 8 and up but does it have to be the high end models or can it work with mid to low profile video cards?
cathode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #4
rakhanreturns

Join Date Feb 2013

As in a GT210? Yes, it will run on that. although not necessarily that well.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:30 AM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reminder!
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
Onus

Join Date Jun 2010
Tennessee, USA
Onus is on a distinguished road

Tom's Hardware did an analysis a year or two ago; you want at least 96 CUDA cores (e.g. GT240) for even minimal improvement, otherwise the game has to wait on PhysX processing and actually slows down.
I believe this article will need a LOT more detail for getting PhysX to work if an AMD card is installed in the system; I believe some driver "games" are required, in fact I'm not even certain it works any more. Please elaborate.
Onus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
rakhanreturns

Join Date Feb 2013

All versions of Forceware since some ridiculously old number (190.xx? Sorry, I don't have a chance to check right now) have arbitrarily disabled PhysX if an AMD GPU is present in the system.
Old 04-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #8
icepick314

Join Date Apr 2013
icepick314 is on a distinguished road

I remember years ago that you could do this with ATI cards...

but Nvidia "updated" their driver so you can't have ATI driver and Nvidia driver at same time...

I think you can still do this with AMD Radeon cards as graphics card and Nvidia cards as PhysX processor but it's very difficult at best...

Anyone remember dedicated PhysX cards by BFG? It was pretty good idea at the time till it was actually used and made games run slower?

good thing Nvidia makes card fast enough so you only see few percentage point drops in frame rate when PhysX is enabled...
icepick314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #9
RazberyBandit

Join Date Mar 2013
RazberyBandit is on a distinguished road

To answer the AMD Hybrid PhysX concerns, there was a "Mod" which enabled it. However, this project's development was halted in 2011. I had to dig through my old Firefox bookmark back-ups, but was able to find a link to it: http://www.ngohq.com/graphic-cards/1...3-v1-05ff.html

I suspect it should still work provided the proper/supported nVidia and PhysX drivers are used, but a caveat may exist: a modern (2011 or later) PhysX-enabled game installation would probably overwrite the PhysX version. Though, someone could probably use an older PhysX-enabled game, such as Mafia II (Aug. 2010), without concern.

If prodded, I'd consider testing whether or not this Hybrid PhysX Mod still works. I have a very recently-retired 8800GT lying around, and two AMD-based systems I could plug it into. One system has a brand-new HD7870, while the other has a 4-year old HD4890.

Admittedly, these systems are roughly 4-years old, so neither has an ideal CPU for comparison tests of dedicated GPU- vs CPU-enabled PhysX. But, both systems have an available X8 (790X Chipset) or X4 (785G Chipset) PCIe-16 slot. (The 790X + HD7870 system has an AMD PhII 720BE w/ 4th core enabled and a 3.2GHz OC, while the 785G + HD4890 system has an even older dual-core Athlon 7850 Black Edition OC'd to 3.2GHz.)

The only issue technically holding me back from testing is both the HD4890 and the 8800GT need replacement thermal pads for their VRAM modules. Some of the old pads tore last weekend when I removed their coolers for cleaning, and I've been enjoying the new HD7870 too much to worry about repairing these two cards.
RazberyBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:15 PM   #10
Athlonite

Join Date Sep 2010
Athlonite is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Athlonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazberyBandit View Post

If prodded, I'd consider testing whether or not this Hybrid PhysX Mod still works. I have a very recently-retired 8800GT lying around, and two AMD-based systems I could plug it into. One system has a brand-new HD7870, while the other has a 4-year old HD4890.

Poke Prod zttttt prod prod
Athlonite is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread