Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Networking and Security

Old 04-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
albertP

Join Date Nov 2012
albertP is on a distinguished road

Default Site/Program for Testing Network Adapter?

Hi. I wanted to present this topic in the form of a suggestion. I am suggesting that a PC knowledge base (such as this one) provide information about, what I think, would be a useful diagnostic tool.

I was working on a PC with an older network card that was at 10/100 Mbps. I was running my 40 Mbps Internet connection to it. It seemed slow. After the usual troubleshooting with drivers, etc., I called my ISP.

The technician had me run their favorite site's download speed test. Of course it showed I am getting 40 Mbps. But he did explain that such a test on a site is only recording the speed provided by the ISP. Not necessarily the speed in which the PC's network card is allowing.

For example, if I were running 40 Mbps into an adapter that can only handle up to 10 Mbps, those site's tests are still going to report that my download speed is up to par. But the PC will still only download at the speed it is capable of.

I searched the Net looking for a download test that would actually display what the PC is downloading -- not what my modem is doing. There seems to be nothing but an overwhelming plethora of modem speed test tools.

When I download certain files, especially larger files, sometimes the PC displays how fast the operation is going in real time. I think it would be useful to have a tool that uses that information in order to provide a result of what the PC actually does.

Maybe such a tool exists and I simply cannot find it due all of the offers for ISP, modem function tests. It is just a thought and if someone could share on this, perhaps it could expand the helpfulness of this already informative site.

Thanks,
albertP

Last edited by albertP; 04-17-2013 at 10:46 PM.
albertP is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Try this: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r323...est-nic-speed-
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread