Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 04-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #1
Sirbigglesworth7

Join Date Apr 2013
Sirbigglesworth7 is on a distinguished road

Smile First time PC Builder: Would Appreciate some thoughts on this Build

Hello all,

I am pretty new to this, and looking to build a new medium-end gaming PC to replace my aging Laptop so that I can get some stutter-free gaming in.

I am not looking to spend more than $950 or so, and am not too picky when it comes to the case or the highest of the high-end hardware. A mid-range gaming PC that is reliable is my highest priority.

While I have a decent amount of tech experience, and am a long-time gamer, I am still not yet completely comfortable with every aspect of building a PC, so I have been looking for some builds online, and found one that seems pretty decent, at a price I am looking for. Please see below:

http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/com...ld_im_in_love/

I am certainly willing to downgrade/skimp on some things if they are overpriced/not necessary for my purposes such as the case. I already have a fine keyboard, and will probably be using Windows 8 instead of 7.

Therefore, does this setup look good to go? Any problems jump out at you immediately? I am welcome to advice and variations, I just would rather not have to completely reinvent this build from the ground-up.

Thanks for any advice or thoughts you all here can give me. I've been lurking on the forums and appreciate that you guys really know your stuff!
Sirbigglesworth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #2
RazberyBandit

Join Date Mar 2013
RazberyBandit is on a distinguished road

For the money, I'd probably opt to go with an Intel Ivy Bridge-based alternative. AMD Vishera CPUs tend to shine only in heavily-threaded applications, but similarly priced Intel alternatives tend to offer better overall performance, which includes gaming. Ivy Bridge (and Sandy Bridge) CPUs also manage to edge Vishera CPUs due to their lower power requirements than AMD rivals.

I'd probably go with an Intel i5-3350P paired with a decent B75-chipset motherboard instead. Mind you, I'd choose a B75 only if I had no intention of overclocking or ever going SLI/CrossFire. If I wanted to OC now (or in the future) and have the option of SLI/CrossFire as well, I'd spend the extra $40 or so to get an i5-3570K and a Z77-based motherboard. The Z77 + 3570K combination would allow for CPU overclocking should I ever desire it, as well as SLI/CrossFire support should it ever be desired. Though, you should keep in mind that the "better" SLI/CrossFire-capable Z77 boards that feature two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (which operate as x8 + x8 in SLI/CrossFire) instead of one 3.0 x16 slot w/ one 2.0 x4 slot tend to start at roughly $125.

If there's a MicroCenter store in your area, consider shopping there for at least the CPU instead of buying online. MicroCenter offers unrivaled CPU price breaks when purchased in-store, and those price breaks get even better when the CPU is purchased in combo with a motherboard.

Lastly, the release of the nVidia GTX 650 Ti-Boost has caused me to fall out of love with the 1GB version of the AMD HD7850. The 650Ti-Boost is usually $10-20 cheaper, and offers nearly identical performance. And, nVidia recently dropped prices on the GTX660 to roughly $200, which makes it an even more attractive buy than any ~$180 7850 - even the 2GB version. (I recently managed to snag an HD7870 for $195, which was an even better deal.)
RazberyBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
Sirbigglesworth7

Join Date Apr 2013
Sirbigglesworth7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazberyBandit View Post
For the money, I'd probably opt to go with an Intel Ivy Bridge-based alternative. AMD Vishera CPUs tend to shine only in heavily-threaded applications, but similarly priced Intel alternatives tend to offer better overall performance, which includes gaming. Ivy Bridge (and Sandy Bridge) CPUs also manage to edge Vishera CPUs due to their lower power requirements than AMD rivals.

I'd probably go with an Intel i5-3350P paired with a decent B75-chipset motherboard instead. Mind you, I'd choose a B75 only if I had no intention of overclocking or ever going SLI/CrossFire. If I wanted to OC now (or in the future) and have the option of SLI/CrossFire as well, I'd spend the extra $40 or so to get an i5-3570K and a Z77-based motherboard. The Z77 + 3570K combination would allow for CPU overclocking should I ever desire it, as well as SLI/CrossFire support should it ever be desired. Though, you should keep in mind that the "better" SLI/CrossFire-capable Z77 boards that feature two PCIe 3.0 x16 slots (which operate as x8 + x8 in SLI/CrossFire) instead of one 3.0 x16 slot w/ one 2.0 x4 slot tend to start at roughly $125.

If there's a MicroCenter store in your area, consider shopping there for at least the CPU instead of buying online. MicroCenter offers unrivaled CPU price breaks when purchased in-store, and those price breaks get even better when the CPU is purchased in combo with a motherboard.

Lastly, the release of the nVidia GTX 650 Ti-Boost has caused me to fall out of love with the 1GB version of the AMD HD7850. The 650Ti-Boost is usually $10-20 cheaper, and offers nearly identical performance. And, nVidia recently dropped prices on the GTX660 to roughly $200, which makes it an even more attractive buy than any ~$180 7850 - even the 2GB version. (I recently managed to snag an HD7870 for $195, which was an even better deal.)
Thank you for the advice Razberry, these seem like very practical suggestions that I will certainly take into account. I am always all-for getting a great deal on a higher-end video card, especially if it is part of a gaming-centric pc build.

The switch to Intel is something I will highly consider for the CPU and the video card. It means I cant follow the posted build to the letter, but I am sure I will figure it out.

Micro-center will be my first stop to see if I can get some deals on the hardware I need before shopping online, thanks for the tip!
Sirbigglesworth7 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread