Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Motherboards and Chipsets

Old 04-19-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
lesle

Join Date Feb 2013
lesle is on a distinguished road

Default Two Sticks, Four Slots, What Should Go Where?

I have an ASUS F1A75-V EVO system board, http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...M1/F1A75V_EVO/

I have two sticks of memory, the board has four memory slots. Going from the CPU toward the edge of the board, the slot nearest the CPU is A1, then A2, B1, and B2.

The ASUS "User Guide" is silent about where to put two sticks in a four slot board. Back in the day, if you had more slots than memory, the conventional wisdom was that you started with the slot nearest the CPU.

I went through ASUS's arcane procedure to ask a question. The reply from carter_xu was:
---
My name is Carter and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

1. If you install two memorys on this board, I suggest you to install them on the DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 slots.
2. Accoding to the spec of this board, I am afraid to say the maximum memory each slot on this board can support is 4gb memory.
---
Well, it's a four slot, 32GB memory board. My two sticks of 8GB work fine in A2 and B2. The Windows 7 OS shows 16GB. But the slot nearest the CPU is empty, which makes me feel unsure about using A2 and B2.

carter_xu is wrong about the board's memory support. Is he/she wrong or right about placement of the memory sticks. Or does it matter?

Thanks.
lesle is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-19-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
hbiii

Join Date Apr 2013
hbiii is on a distinguished road

As stated on pg 1-13 of the user manual:
" We recommend that you install the memory modules from the blue slots for better
overclocking capability."
That would be slots A1 and B1.

Also, you may want to refer to this tutorial written by Gabriel:
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/artic...hitectures/133
hbiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:04 PM   #3
lesle

Join Date Feb 2013

HB3, thank you for your reply and link.

I have not before had a board with more than one channel or with colored memory slots. I read the ASUS User Guide thoroughly beforehand, including noting, and marking, the sentence "We recommend that you install the memory modules from the blue slots for better overclocking capability." Note it says 'from' the blue slots, not 'into' them; I am not an overclocker. The wording of this sentence is one specific reason I contacted ASUS.
===
[Problem Description]
1) When installing 2 sticks of DDR3, do they both go in Channel A (blue & black slots) or do they both go into the same color slots (i.e., blue slots)?
[This is not covered in the F1A75-V EVO User Guide at 1.7.]

2) Will the F1A75-V EVO board accept 8GB sticks of DDR3?
[The User Guide at 1.7.2 addresses up to 4GB and then 16GB, but says nothing about 8GB.]
---
My name is Carter-xu and it's my pleasure to help you with your problem.

1. If you install two memorys on this board, I suggest you to install them on the DIMM_A2 and DIMM_B2 slots.
2. Accoding to the spec of this board, I am afraid to say the maximum memory each slot on this board can support is 4gb memory.
===
HSB3, you say "that would be slots A1 and B1." You may well be right and Carter_xu from ASUS wrong. But I just don't get what you seem to get from the UG's sentence. "From the blue slots." What does this mean? Start first stick in a blue slot, then a stick in the next, black, slot? Or blue slot, skip a slot, use next blue slot?

My point is that the ASUS User Guide does NOT tell me what I need to know and what it should tell me. It just doesn't.
---
Thanks to your link I read Gabriel Torres' 2011 Tutorial. And comments. Learned a fair amount and was doing fine until Page 6.

"Motherboards targeted to all other AMD CPUs use sockets one and three as the first channel, and two and four as the second channel. ... In order to enable the dual-channel architecture, you have to install one module at the first channel and one module at the second channel. ... Therefore, you must install the first memory module in socket one and the second memory module in socket two."

"The big difference is that, while on motherboards targeted to Intel and socket AM3+ CPUs you need to skip socket two when installing two memory modules, on motherboards targeted to all other AMD CPUs you need to install the memory modules sequentially."

"Most motherboard manufacturers use ... one color for sockets one and two, and a different color for sockets three and four."
---
I presume this tutorial was written before my board was manufactured; it doesn't seem to cover my board: my board slots are, from the CPU, blue, black, blue, black. My memory is in the two black slots; that's one in channel A and one in channel B. CPU-Z 1.63.0 x64 does not show Channels #, it is grayed out.

I'm going to call it a day. Thank you again for your reply.
===
If you use Firefox I recommend the PageZipper extension when reading multi-page documents such as tutorials.
Old 04-28-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Hood

Join Date Sep 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Hood is on a distinguished road

Any compatible memory will work in almost any configuration, but for dual channel operation, at least one A slot and one B slot must be populated. BTW, the manual claims that 64 GB is possible once 16 GB DIMMS are released, and they will update the QVL when that happens (I've never seen 16 GB DDR3 DIMMs, have you?).
The reason they say to use the A1 & B1 slots for "better overclocking" is just because they are closer to the CPU and thus have a shorter path/less resistance. You would typically use the A2 & B2 slots only if you have CPU cooler clearance issues, but there's really not much difference. Don't rely on old tutorials, each board can be different. For instance, on my board (Asus P8Z77-V) the manual says to always use A2 if using one DIMM, A2 & B2 if using only 2 DIMMs, presumably so that the CPU cooler has more clearance by default.

Last edited by Hood; 04-28-2013 at 10:46 AM.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
lesle

Join Date Feb 2013

Hood, thank you for your reply.

After mulling about hbill's comment and Gabriel's tutorial, and since I had bought 4 sticks of 8GB and therefore had two sticks in reserve, I moved the two sticks to A1 and B1.

No problem manifested, no whit of difference detected in operation.

Thanks again.

BTW, 1) I like your Avatar; 2) I'm over here a few counties west of you.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Hood

Join Date Sep 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Hood is on a distinguished road

You're welcome, glad if it helped, nice to hear from a neighbor. Waiting for June and the new Intel goodies, at least to have something new to read about, even if Haswell is a bust. Might get one if the IHS is soldered this time just for the lower temps.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread