Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 04-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #1
Murderbydeath

Join Date Apr 2013
Murderbydeath is on a distinguished road

Default Not my first build...but advice appreciated nonetheless

http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=29862708

^ This is my list of parts. I have a monitor and peripherals already, though I'd ideally like to upgrade my monitor at some point as well (old 1680x1050 turd). I didn't skimp on anything but the graphics card (I'm honestly happy with everything else), but I'm curious what you all think. Any recommendations that wouldn't inflate the price much? Or, perhaps more preferably, recommendations that would lower the price?

I went with the x79 platform because I'd like to one day own a hexacore Ivy Bridge-E. Yeah, I know Haswell is right around the corner, but I need a computer before June. And yeah, I know the i7-3770K outperforms the 3820 by 5-10% and is on a cheaper platform. And yes I know the i5-3570K is like the Jesus of CPUs these days and is also much cheaper.

It will primarily be used for gaming and streaming, with some video editing and game programming (nothing too intensive like Unreal light baking or something).

Edit: Forgot to mention that I have 2x old 250GB 3Gb/s 7200RPM HDDs that should serve my purposes just fine as well.

Last edited by Murderbydeath; 04-27-2013 at 01:27 AM.
Murderbydeath is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 04-27-2013, 01:54 AM   #2
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Personally, I'd drop it back to a 3770K, but if you've already considered that and opted against it, then there's probably not much I'd change.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
Murderbydeath

Join Date Apr 2013
Murderbydeath is on a distinguished road

I think the only thing I might consider changing is the motherboard. The DX79TO doesn't have a USB 3.0 header on the board for front panel USB 3.0 ports...for some reason. I might get the ASRock X79 Extreme6 for just $15 more for front panel USB 3.0 ports. I think that's fair

Edit: There is an Open Box ASRock X79 Extreme6 for $175. I've never purchased an item Open Box before -- does anyone have experience with this? Less cost for more functionality seems like a win win.

Edit 2: Never mind, it seems like such a gamble that you may not get all included accessories. I'd rather like to have all of the accessories offered with the ASRock X79 Extreme6. That's part of its attractiveness. Ah well. Looks like my build just got $15 more expensive. Seems worth it though.

Last edited by Murderbydeath; 04-27-2013 at 04:27 AM.
Murderbydeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
Hood

Join Date Sep 2012
Jacksonville, Florida
Hood is on a distinguished road

Default No SSD?

I can't help but notice the omission of an SSD in your parts list. No modern build is complete without one. Consider this brief excerpt from a review;

Solid State vs Hard Disk

Despite decades of design improvements, the hard disk drive (HDD) is still the slowest component of any personal computer system. Consider that modern desktop processors have a 1 ns response time (nanosecond = one billionth of one second), while system memory responds between 30-90 ns. Traditional hard drive technology utilizes magnetic spinning media, and even the fastest spinning mechanical storage products still exhibit a 9,000,000 ns / 9 ms initial response time (millisecond = one thousandth of one second). In more relevant terms, the processor receives the command and must then wait for system memory to fetch related data from the storage drive. This is why any computer system is only as fast as the slowest component in the data chain; usually the hard drive.

In a perfect world all of the components operate at the same speed. Until that day comes, the real-world goal for achieving optimal performance is for system memory to operate as quickly as the central processor and then for the storage drive to operate as fast as memory. With present-day technology this is an impossible task, so enthusiasts try to close the speed gaps between components as much as possible. Although system memory is up to 90x (9000%) slower than most processors, consider then that the hard drive is an added 1000x (100,000%) slower than that same memory. Essentially, these three components are as different in speed as walking is to driving and flying.

Solid State Drive technology bridges the largest gap in these response times. The difference a SSD makes to operational response times and program speeds is dramatic, and takes the storage drive from a slow 'walking' speed to a much faster 'driving' speed. Solid State Drive technology improves initial response times by more than 450x (45,000%) for applications and Operating System software, when compared to their mechanical HDD counterparts. The biggest mistake PC hardware enthusiasts make with regard to SSD technology is grading them based on bandwidth speed. File transfer speeds are important, but only so long as the operational I/O performance can sustain that bandwidth under load.

Bandwidth Speed vs Operational Performance

As we've explained in our SSD Benchmark Tests: SATA IDE vs AHCI Mode guide, Solid State Drive performance revolves around two dynamics: bandwidth speed (MB/s) and operational performance I/O per second (IOPS). These two metrics work together, but one is more important than the other. Consider this analogy: bandwidth determines how much cargo a ship can transport in one voyage, and operational IOPS performance is how fast the ship moves. By understanding this and applying it to SSD storage, there is a clear importance set on each variable depending on the task at hand.

For casual users, especially those with laptop or desktop computers that have been upgraded to use an SSD, the naturally quick response time is enough to automatically improve the user experience. Bandwidth speed is important, but only to the extent that operational performance meets the minimum needs of the system. If an SSD has a very high bandwidth speed but a low operational performance, it will take longer to load applications and boot the computer into Windows than if the SSD offered a higher IOPS performance.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...1070&Itemid=60

The rest of your build looks great, and with the addition of an SSD, it will be so fast you'll smile every time you boot up in 10 seconds...

Last edited by Hood; 04-28-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Hood is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread