Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Motherboards and Chipsets

Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #1
Holsokk

Join Date May 2013
Norway
Holsokk is on a distinguished road

Default Please help! Broken small component in motherboard

Hi.

I need help to identify a small component on a laptop motherboard and what its use is. I broke mine off when i was soldering a new dc jack. Its quite small, and is similar to the component shown in the picture below(mine was placed right besides the soldering part of the DC jack):

I need to know what failure it would cause, and if i have to solder this again!

Thanks!
Holsokk is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-04-2013, 01:46 AM   #2
Holsokk

Join Date May 2013
Norway

My beliefs is that it is a resistor, but would like to know if this could result in fire hazard. Ive seen some articles written by some smart guys in here, so hope somebody can help me.
Old 05-06-2013, 08:43 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Looks like a capacitor to me. Resistors are usually a little bit bigger. If it is solderable, you should re-solder it back. You said you "broke" it on the thread title, so I am confused as whether you really broke it or just broke its solder.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #4
c.hegge

Join Date Nov 2011
NSW, Australia
c.hegge is on a distinguished road

Looks like a capacitor to me as well. If you have the cap, then definitely solder it back on. Powering it up with the cap missing could potentially damage other parts of the board.

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium.
c.hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Holsokk

Join Date May 2013
Norway

Thank you for your reply guys. I was a little inaccurate with the explanation, its just the solder that i broke off. The component is whole. But when i broke it off i was so dumb to just place it on my table just a armlength away!! As i worked on with the dc jack, i must have pushed the component away. Because it was nowhere to be found. As its a "microscopic" size on it is like to look for a needle in a haystack. I've looked everywhere on the floor but its nowhere to be found. I'll just bite the sour apple and wreck the laptop. It was old thou.
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread