Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Recommendations for Custom PC Building

Old 05-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #1
singer.rick

Join Date May 2013
singer.rick is on a distinguished road

Default First time PC Build. 1,000-$1,500 budget

Hey all! I've been wanting to build my own PC for a looooong time. The budget and time variables are finally aligning, and I am starting to put together a wishlist. I have built the high end of by ideal build that came to around $1,600. I am worried that my eyes are bigger than my needs, however.

I used to be a big PC gamer, but have been working off of the same laptop for the past 6 years, so obviously my PC gaming has taken a big hit. I am also starting to get into photography and photo editing. My priorities will be: Storage, probably some type of raid / backup setup down the line (I will most likely not include additional mechanical drives in my initial build, but want to build with the intention of adding a reduntant HD setup later on). I definitely want an SSD for my boot drive. I also would like to be able to have a decent gaming rig. I don't need to blow away the latest and greatest games, but I would like to be able to comfortably game on this rig for a couple of years.

Some other notes: I definitely want a modular power supply. Also any peripherals not listed here I either have already out will purchase as part of a second round of upgrades arty a later date.

Here is my "high end" build that I put together. I would definitely like to cut this down to as close to $1,000 as possible, as I really just think this build is too much machine for my purposes, and that a lot of this hardware may be a bit of a waste:
  • Case:
    Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case
  • Processor:Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVI​DIA SLI
  • Vid Card: EVGA GeForce GTX670
  • RAM: Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 PRO 256Gb
  • Power Supply: Seasonic x series X650 watt (modular)
Total: Around $1600

A little bit more of a realistic build for me:
  • Case:
    Corsair Obsidian Series Black 650D Mid Tower Computer Case
  • Processor:Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache
  • Motherboard:
    Gigabyte Intel Z77 LGA 1155 AMD CrossFireX/NVI​DIA SLI
  • Vid Card:
    Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB DDR5 HDMI / DVI-I / Dual Mini DP with Boost
  • RAM:
    Corsair Vengeance 8 GB ( 2 x 4 GB ) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800)
  • Boot Drive: Samsung 840 PRO 256Gb
  • Power Supply: Corsair Professional Series HX650 ATX/EPS Modular Power Supply
Total: Around $1300

Again, I am comfortable with purchasing either of these builds, but my main purpose in posting on these boards is for some insight on where I could stand to downgrade some equipment that I may not really need in order to save some cash. As always ANY suggestions / modifications to these builds are more than welcome. This is my first time at this so it is very possible that I have made some stupid decisions here.

Thanks so much for your time everyone!!!

-Rick
singer.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

I like both systems. I'd just pick a Core i5 instead of a Core i7 and save some money. Core i7 is usually overkill for most users.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #3
singer.rick

Join Date May 2013
singer.rick is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Torres View Post
I like both systems. I'd just pick a Core i5 instead of a Core i7 and save some money. Core i7 is usually overkill for most users.
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) instead of the 3770?
singer.rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
AlanG

Join Date May 2013
AlanG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer.rick View Post
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) instead of the 3770?
That one will work fine for photography. I just finished a build for my own photo editing and went this route. You can also save a little bit if you want to drop down to a 128GB SSD. Even with Photshop, Lightroom and Microsoft Office all installed (as well as a few other programs) my SSD is not even 1/2 full and the machine is still much faster than my older HD based OS machine. I built with the Fractal Design Arc Midi case and the system is stone cold quiet which is nice since it sits right on my desktop. I don't need any extra fans (have the Enermax ETS T40 CPU cooler). I'm also not sure that you need to spend so much on a video card. I put the MSI GeForce GTX 660 in mine and it works just fine with both PS and LR. I don't do video processing so maybe something more expensive might be necessary.
AlanG is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread