Hardware Secrets Forums

Go Back   Hardware Secrets Forums > Hardware > Audio

Old 11-29-2005, 08:53 AM   #1
harty

Join Date Nov 2005
harty is on a distinguished road

Question Connect my desktop to my stereo amp

I am not real savvy about what I am trying to do so bear with me. I have loaded all my cd's onto my desktop. I have connected my desktop computer to my integratred stereo amp. with the little plug for the computer speakers. This works ok but I hoped to do better. I bought a sound card with a SPDIF output but my new reciever does not have a SPDIF input. Is there a way to convert the end of the SPDIF cable to RCA jacks that I can plug into my AUX input on the reciever? Thanks for any help anyone can give

Harty
harty is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2005, 04:07 AM   #2
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hi,

This is pretty easy, just connect the line out (speaker out) jack of your PC to the aux inputs on your receiver using the proper cable (1x stereo mini jack at one end and 2x RCA connectors at the other end). I liked you doubt as a suggestion for writting a tutorial on the subject; I'll write it as soon as the time allows.

Thanks.

Cheers,
Gabriel Torres
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:15 AM   #3
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Default Tutorial Posted

Thanks a lot for your suggestion, I've just posted a complete tutorial on this really interesting subject:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/259

Enjoy!

Anytime you have ideas like this please let me know!

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:51 AM   #4
eanupam

Join Date Jan 2006
eanupam is on a distinguished road

Default Analog audio humming problem

I have connected my PC to my sterio system's line In jacks as shown in page 3 of your article http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/259/3.

Please help me out. The speakers are giving out a constant humming sound and i am unable to hear anything. What could be the problem??

thanks and regards,
ANupam
eanupam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
JaguarMEX

Join Date Jan 2006
JaguarMEX is on a distinguished road

I connected my home teather with an analog cable like you said in your guide, but I can't enable 5.1 sound with games, I have a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with no coaxial or optic IN's. The 5 speakers work if I play a CD or mp3 but doesn't work with 5.1 sound in games. Is there a way to solve this?

I found the "digital in" in my hometheater, now the problem is that my Audigy 2 ZS has a different type of "digital out" that doesn't work with a RCA cable. I tried using the cable you mention in page 3 of your guide and it didn't work. What kind of cable do I need for this type of configuration?

Last edited by Cheetos; 04-25-2011 at 03:56 AM.
JaguarMEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 AM   #6
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Hi guys,

Quote:
The speakers are giving out a constant humming sound and i am unable to hear anything. What could be the problem??
Usually this means that the cable is defective or not connected very well, Try with another set of cables.

Quote:
my Audigy 2 ZS has a different type of "digital out"
What is the exact model of your Audigy 2 ZS? See below:

http://www.soundblaster.com/products...4&product=4915

At the specs page it mentions that the Pro model comes with a front panel with the correct connector.

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Old 01-03-2006, 10:09 AM   #7
JaguarMEX

Join Date Jan 2006

my model is the standard Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with no front panel, so if you look at the "digital out" of the card (back of the computer) it looks just like a normal stereo "audio out" that you use to connect any pair of speakers. I think that you need some kind of cable that goes from RCA to some kind of stereo jack to enable this. I found this info on the Sound Blaster forums but I can't understand anything http://forums.creative.com/creativel...ssage.id=12170

Last edited by JaguarMEX; 01-03-2006 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 03:49 AM   #8
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA

Got it. You need a cable that is a mono male mini-jack at one end (to connect to your Sound Blaster) and a mono male RCA at the other end (to connect to your home theater receiver at its digital in input). This should do.

Cheers,
Gabriel
Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 AM   #9
JaguarMEX

Join Date Jan 2006

thanks Gabriel, I'll try this out and post the results
Old 04-20-2011, 06:25 PM   #10
AltaBuyer

Join Date Apr 2011
AltaBuyer is on a distinguished road

Compliments on your tutorial at http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/259/3. Excellent and very clear.

I have a Creative Audigy 2 zs sound card. I have connected my PC from the sound card by the analog method shown in page 3 of your article, but I get a constant humming sound/noise. This happens even when the PC is turned off, but the stereo is left on.

Any suggestions?
AltaBuyer is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread