Administrator

Join Date Nov 2004
Hardware Secrets Team is on a distinguished road

Default How To Connect Your PC to Your Home Stereo or Home Theater

There has been a new article posted.

Title: How To Connect Your PC to Your Home Stereo or Home Theater
URL: http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/259

Here is a snippet:
"How about connecting your PC to your home stereo or even to your home theater in order to get a better audio for your games, videos and audio files? In this tutorial we will show you how to make this ..."

Comments on this article are welcome.

Best regards,
Hardware Secrets Team
http://www.hardwaresecrets.com
Hardware Secrets Team is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 PM   #2
francesco38

Join Date Jul 2007
francesco38 is on a distinguished road

Default Is spdif always best option?

Just a side comment on this article... The sound that comes from the PC is (most of the time) a digital signal (CD, DVD, mp3, you name it). The PC/sound card and the Home Theater share the task to acquire, decode, post process (spatialize, enhance, improve, mix, you name it), convert to analog and amplify the sound so that at the end an analog signal is sent to the Hi-Fi non-amplified speakers.
If you're after the best quality, you need to make sure each component is use at its best.
If you want to listen to a CD, for example, on a PC with a cheap sound chipset on the motherboard, on top notch Home Theater amplifier, it definitely makes sense to use the PC at its minimum - just to acquire the sound from the CD with the sound card, and pass it along to the HT receiver through the SPDIF digital out as a digital unprocessed signal - as you recommend in the article by telling people to rely on SPDIF when available.
Now if you have a good sound card (as in Creative X-Fi, Auzentech X-Meridian....) and a so-so HT amplifier it is better to use the sound card to decode, post process, and convert to analog. Direct analog input is then to be used on the HT amplifier - so that this component only amplify the "good" analog signal produced by the sound card.
Having myself an X-Meridian as a sound card (a good one then...), and a Yamaha V450 amplifier (so-so), I can tell you that the analog connection between PC/HT produce a much better sound than relying on optical SPDIF and using the DAC of the Yamaha...

So while I agree the SPDIF connection should be the one to use for people with low end PC sound card I differ for hi end stuff...

-Francois
francesco38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #3
vdupuy

Join Date Sep 2007
vdupuy is on a distinguished road

Default Question for either of you

Great article. Great comment Francois.

Question though. I have a cheap PC, with a cheap on board sound, and a good amp. How should I connect them? My PC has no optical/coax out, and my amp has all the inputs. Can I set the regular line out connector to transmit digital signal and connect the other end to the coax in?

Let me know, thanks!

Vincent
vdupuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
lschnell

Join Date Apr 2010
lschnell is on a distinguished road

Default Zone 2 Output

Hello, I have tried to find some assistance for a problem and can't find a thread that addresses this particular issue. I am trying to connect a PC to a new Onkyo TX-SR707 for music (I have transferred all our CDs to the harddrive) and some video (such as Netflix, Hulu,etc) Trust me we are NOT tech-savvy, just baby-boomers who bought some new toys and are trying to figure out the complicated connections.

The PC does have an SPDIF out and no problem connecting to the digital input on the receiver (still tweaking the quality of the output but at least we are hearing our music). The problem is with the Zone 2 Output.....we aren't getting any sound from the speakers in the Zone 2 Room. There is a "Note" that states "only analog input sources are output by the Zone 2 Line Out and Zone 2 L/R Speaker terminals". So how do we do this? SPDIF is digital, right? And we need that to eliminate noise, right? Should we 1) use the SPDIF connector for the Zone 1 Room PLUS Analog Out --the green one on the PC---to get sound to Zone 2 (and put up with noise)? OR 2) Would HDMI output from a sound card (installed in a PCIx slot) help the situation? And 3) Would HDMI output from a Sound Card like GEForce improve the sound quality all around?

I realize that HDMI is digital but it seems to be the answer to all questions these days but I don't know if it will take care of our problems with the Analog input requirement for Zone 2. If it will, I will just go buy one (your recommendations on which brand to get?)
lschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #5
Gabriel Torres
Administrator

Join Date Oct 2004
USA
Gabriel Torres is on a distinguished road

Hello and welcome to our forums.

From what I understood from your situation, you are limited by your home theater receiver, that can only play digital audio on "zone 1". HDMI is also digital, like SPDIF, so I would suggest the workaround that you mention, using digital connection for Zone 1 and analog for Zone 2. It seems that you could understand very well what is happening, congratulations!

Cheers,
Gabriel.
Gabriel Torres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
Isidore

Join Date Sep 2010
Isidore is on a distinguished road

Great article, it uncomplicated the complicated for me

I want to know how surround sounds in games would work using
Home Theatre speakers as my PC speakers. The soundcard supports
all 3 methods of connection. I've heard I have to get 4 separate mono
cables and connect each 2 Front L/R and Rear L/R to the PC is this true?

I'm using a Creative 5.1 at the moment and if I changed to a Home Theatre
system will I need to install new drivers for them or does Creative support
HT Speakers?

Thanks in advance
Isidore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 PM   #7
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

HT speakers typically don't come with built in power amplifiers. Therefore you'll need to connect the computer line outputs to your HT amplifier, which then feeds the speakers.
(Speakers designed for computers usually have the amplifier built into the sub-woofer.)

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:20 AM   #8
Isidore

Join Date Sep 2010
Isidore is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply Olle

Yup, so suppose I connect the Amp and my PC using a Digital Output Optical.
Will the 5.1 surround sounds in gaming work the way they should and would the
Creative sound drivers and the Config programs work with the HT speakers?

Regards,
Izzy
Isidore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #9
Olle P

Join Date Oct 2008
Sweden
Olle P is on a distinguished road

The sound card drivers don't bother about what's attached on the output, so yes it should work.

Cheers
Olle
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:10 PM   #10
sticknmove280

Join Date Nov 2010
sticknmove280 is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I have a question about attaching my pc to my receiver using the analog method. It seems that after doing so, I'm not getting any sound out of my subwoofer. There's no seperate input on the receiver end for the subwoofer, just the red and white RCA inputs, so I'm wondering if getting sound out of the sub is even possible with this method?

Thanks for the help
sticknmove280 is offline   Reply With Quote
new Sponsored Links

Share This Thread